Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress and memcache?

• Can someone tell me what’s the status with bbpress and memcache? I see backpress is meant to unify memcache in both installations but is there a working beta to get both working? I currently using version two of the object-cache on my wordpress and unfortunately i suppose that is what is causing the problem with the bbpress integration plugin. Any clues or more info?

Thank you.

Viewing 9 replies - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Output caching can be effective for parts of the page (I do it in several plugins) but caching an entire page for a forum is not as good of an experience for forums vs blogs.

Blogs are post once, read many times. Forums are post many times, read many times.

When you aren’t viewing comments, blogs barely change, on forums everything changes constantly.

Unless you don’t mind showing guests outdated info.

One day someone will port WP Super Cache or similar (but don’t look at me).

It will be effecting for showing guests outdated info.

Simon Wheatley

@simonwheatley

Glad to see what I am saying confirmed with independent realworld proof.

Pleased to be of service. :)

BTW, just how big is your site that you require multiple db servers?

I don’t know of a single WordPress+bbPress install, other than Automattic’s that are using multiple db servers.

(unless of course you are running other apps that have heavy db use or maybe for backup replication)

It’s more for redundancy than anything else, although before we got opcode caching in and had optimised some plugins involved we were catching traffic surges when our client tweeted new posts that were making us very very glad we had that much capacity.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Bringing this topic back…I run a multisite wordpress blog farm with Buddypress and the bbPress install that comes with it.

We use Batcache and Memcached for caching and it works great everywhere but the forums. When you post a reply, it doesn’t show for a long time, or unless the cache is flushed.

Is there any snip that can be added to object-cache.php or advanced-cache.php (batcache) to enable forums to work properly?

Thanks!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Would be awesome to get your feedback on the new bbPress plugin for WordPress once it’s released. Since it uses custom post types it should play nicer with setups like yours.

Regarding your question, I don’t have an answer for you right away but should be able to get one soon. We use bbPress on all of the .org sites with a similar server setup, and someone with more experience on the guts of them should be able to chime in.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Thanks for the quick reply JJJ. I’m really looking forward to the new forums, but it sounds like it’s going to be quite some time before it will integrate nicely with buddypress.

DJ Paul thought maybe BP 1.4…ugh.

If you guys have an interim solution, that would be a life-saver.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

What’s frustrating is that batcache is only supposed to affect visitors who are not logged in. So, anyone making blog comments or forum postings shouldn’t be impacted. But, not so.

With my setup there are two possible files to tweak: batcache’s advanced-cache.php and memcached’s object-cache.php.

Advanced-cache looks to only have one section to tweak, which asks how long to wait before caching (2 visits in 30 second, etc.). I’m thinking that, because batcache only works for not-logged-in members, this file isn’t the culprit.

object-cache.php is a decent sized file with a ton of room for tweaks. Please let me know if any of you have successfully tweaked this file so as not to mess up your forum and blog comments.

Thanks!

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

John James Jacoby,

I’m hesitant to post what I need on a jobs board because of the fact that my setup is so similar to wordpress.com – ideally I would need some direction from someone familiar with their settings.

I would be happy to buy some time of someone there to help me out. Is there anyone that you know of who I could buy an hour of their time?

Thanks!

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

I though I found the solution, reading these threads…maybe it’s an issue with recognizing content types?

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/batcache-ignores-content-type-header-sends-everything-as-texthtml?replies=3

http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/13773/fixing-batcache-to-send-the-correct-content-type-header/

But this fix didn’t work – just took the memcached served offline.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Getting weirder…I think I found the root of the problem: my bbpress permalinks are being re-written when someone replies to a forum thread.

Here’a pic and some more detail. Sorry about the frequent posts – there aren’t too many places to go for help!

https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/is-this-a-buddypress-problem-bbpress-problem-or-caching-problem/

Viewing 9 replies - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar