Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2: Close forums to new topics, but allow replies to existing topics

• will_c
    Participant

@will_c

I am wondering if there is a way with bbPress 2 to close forums to new topics, but allow users to reply to existing forum topics within that forum (or subforum). Ideally this would emulate the functionality of this bbPress standalone plugin:

http://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/read-only-forums/

Currently, closing a forum restricts users’ ability to create topics and reply to existing topics (including topics in open subforums).

I found someone else raising this issue in the WordPress forums, here, but wasn’t sure that it was the most appropriate place to ask the question.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hansaplastique
    Participant

@hansaplastique

+1 for me.

I installed “bbPress Topics for Posts” (plugin link).
    I wanted to create one forum that collects comments on articles (this plugin does that very well – only downside is that comments made in the forum do not count as comments but are visible).

Anyhow; I want users to be able to reply, but NOT create new topics.
    Right now it’s either no new topics and no new replies, OR new topics and new replies.

Of course I could modify the forum.php and remove the for the specific forum. Is there an easier (more future proof) way?

Hansaplastique
    Participant

@hansaplastique

For some reason my code didn’t stick; I mean remove:

bb_new_topic_link();

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

It looks like there is a filter you might be able to use to create a plugin

function bbp_get_topic_caps() {
    return apply_filters( 'bbp_get_topic_caps', array (
    'edit_posts'          => 'edit_topics',
    'edit_others_posts'   => 'edit_others_topics',
    'publish_posts'       => 'publish_topics',
    'read_private_posts'  => 'read_private_topics',
    'read_hidden_posts'   => 'read_hidden_topics',
    'delete_posts'        => 'delete_topics',
    'delete_others_posts' => 'delete_others_topics'
    ) );
    }

I always presumed ‘closed’ meant no new topics, but still allowed replies until this morning! I would love to have a workaround for this, as currently my members can’t enter my competition topics.

Is playing with function bbp_get_topic_caps() the best way to go? I would be satisfied in replacing all ‘closed’ forums with the ability to still reply.

rachelvt
    Participant

@rachelvt

Yes…this: I want users to be able to reply, but NOT create new topics. Right now it’s either no new topics and no new replies, OR new topics and new replies.

Did anyone find a solution for this?

Robkk

@robkk

@rachelvt

this idea in a forum is kind of weird

i would just create a category in your blog , and use wordpress comments instead.

its just my opinion though.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar