Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.1 – Theme Compatibility

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You posted, I listened.

Version 2 of bbPress’s theme compatibility is now in the 2.1 plugin branch of code for your perusal. This second iteration removes the need to add current_theme_support() to your theme, and totally automates the process.

If your child or parent theme contains the template files that bbPress looks for, bbPress will use them. If not, bbPress will fall back on it’s default templates and styling. No more logic necessary.

Please test it. It’s new code with a new approach, so I’d like to get some fresh eyes on things right away to avoid a long beta period like 2.0 had.

Cheers!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Hi there,

I really need a forum plugin that will work in a WP multisite environment. bbPress is one of the few that I’ve tried that works, but my Theme is not compatible.

I also need a forum that if one ‘attaches’ a post that includes a featured image, that that image appears in the forum. bbPress seems to do that.

I’m using Atahualpa from BFA which I like because there is a very good interface to customize it with many many options.

I do not have the programming skills to do a lot of changes or writing of code from scratch, but I can certainly follow clear directions.

It’s really too bad that there doesn’t seem to be a bbPress interface for changing the look … Currently it’s using the default, which divides the presentation page 50% for user info; 50% for content…. Not really work’en.

Is there a plug-in that will give me a CSS menu to edit or a way to modify the template without being a programmer?

I would also like to be able to ‘turn-off’ the bbPress profile, since I would prefer that folks simply use the WP profile and not have to do stuff over again.

Can you help??

I can give you access to: masterclasses.icp.edu if it would help.

Thanks…

Martin
    Participant

@rastarr

Can I ga confirmation that the next version release of bbPress is going to try its darndess to work with my commercial WP theme so I (hopefully) don’t have to bother with all the hacking I look like I need to do, at the current moment?

That would certainly be a total godsend if that’s the case. Anyone confirm this as well as successes with commercial themes too?

And lastly, what’s the release roadmap on 2.1?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

No idea what commercial theme you’re using so its impossible to say. It’s also up to users like you that use totally custom themes to test how well it works with bbPress and report any issues you run into to the theme authors.

Remember that what bbPress is doiing is actually the first of its kind in the WordPress world, so the more you can help forge it early on is the better it will be and easier it will get.

Martin
    Participant

@rastarr

Thanks John.

I’m using the Mingle theme which can be seen in action on my site http://www.geekandjock.com

That said, the author has already indicated he won’t be supporting bbPress even though the theme does support BuddyPress. His response was it was a fair amount of additional work for him to also provide theming support for bbPress.

No idea if that statement is true or will still be the case with this additional theming support that’s being released ‘soon’.

– what is the first of it’s kind?

– I’m happy to help where I can but I’m not a coder. Have answered a few forum questions but I think I ask more than I can answer :)

insy111
    Participant

@insy111

Many thanks for the link Andre

BlinkyBill01
    Participant

@blinkybill01

Ok, I think I ran into a snag.

My WordPress/BuddyPress site is HEAVILY modded with plugins. I use a RocketTheme theme that runs off of the Gantry Framework along with Gantry-BuddyPress (which allows BuddyPress to be compatible with the RocketTheme and Gantry Framework.)

The bbPress plugin worked, but only partially. The Forum page set up by bbPress is visible but instead of seeing the “directory” of forums it shows:

Home › Forums Forum Topics Posts Freshness General Discussion SO? what now? 1 1 26 mins Admin

It’s all just plain text with no links. But, the forum I made for General Discussion is viewable when I go to the forum page it made.

For reference, here are the demo page links:

http://bp.daevas.com/forums/

http://bp.daevas.com/forums/discussion/na-general-discussion/

I still have to edit the .css to match the theme design, but I wanted to find out what was wrong with the default forums page and why it wasn’t showing up correctly.

Thanks and hope you can help.

tuomasparviainen.com
    Participant

@tuomasparviainencom

Please provide a step by step instructions on how to enable 2.1 theme in active theme directory.

Simply copying bbp-theme-compat contents into theme directory wont do it or i just cant.

fruitbat2000

@fruitbat2000

I was having the same prob Tuomas, but then realised I needed to insert a link to the stylesheet within my header template.

Putting <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/css/bbpress.css"> directly AFTER the <?php wp_head(); ?> tag allows you to override the styles provided by the stylesheet in the plugin folder.

Hope that helps :)

Jon Brown
    Participant

@jb510

Just switched a Genesis based site I’m developing from 2.0 to 2.1-r3774. I was a bit confused by the broken templates, but then realized the Genesis code had been pulled out and found and installed Jared’s BBPress Genesis extend (0.8.1) plugin which now makes everything is look good OOTB again.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-genesis-extend/

There are only a dozen dummy posts and _no_ custom templates yet so I wouldn’t really expect it to explode, but I start customizing forum templates in a few days and it seemed to make sense to start with 2.1.

n0ise

@n0ise

im using it with a fresh install of the latest wp, but i have a styling issue ( http://screen.ticno.com/index.php?image=diLrSMnMxuCXs7Zs9BWr.jpg ). im using the London Live template. it’s a local testing and everything is “fresh” without custom code. suggestion?

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Yep, that’s a some-what common issue.

In 2.1 table layouts have been ditched for the much preferred clean xhtml (lists, and what not) however some theme’s choke on it.

There are some wrappers in place (such as #bbpress-forums) you should be able to use to reset the styles that are needed,

harnold007

@harnold007

I changed bbpress.css in folder /bbp-theme-compat/ which I was able to get it they way I want it to look.

However, it is using my wordpress default page theme. I would like it to use a full width page theme that I have.

Example it is using:

<div id=”main-wrapper”>

<div id=”main”>

<div id=”post”>

<h3 class=”section-title”>testing 2</h3>

<div class=”post-entry”>

// Then it goes to the forums tag

<div id=”bbpress-forums”>

Also, under the default page theme it grabs the sidebar, which I do not want it to do.

If someone can please point me in the right direction on changing the wordpress page theme that is being used for the forums. Thank you!

oremining

@oremining

Im waiting on the release of the beta

I have a website.

sand sieving equipment

harnold007

@harnold007

I figured out the forum was based off of page.php in my themes directory. I just modified page.php the way I wanted it and it is working great. Thanks!

harnold007

@harnold007

My installation instructions.

1. Installed plugin and activated in WordPress.

2. Copied the contents of /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-theme-compat/ into my themes root folder /wp-content/themes/YOURTHEMENAME/

3. Modified bbpress.css in /wp-content/themes/YOURTHEMENAME/css/

4. Put in this line in my header.php <link rel=”stylesheet” href=”<?php bloginfo(‘template_directory’); ?>/css/bbpress.css”>

5. Modified my page.php in /wp-content/themes/YOURTHEMENAME/ (please note if you have any other pages using page.php in your theme modifying this file will also modify those pages utilizing this wordpress page template). I modified it so my forum would be full width without the sidebar. This will vary depending on your theme.

6. Created my forums in my wordpress admin panel under the forum section.

7. Tested, everything is working great!

I followed a similar path to harnold007. Worked out that the markup of all BBP pages is being driven by page.php in my active theme directory.

For me though, I want some pages to have a sidebar, but forum pages to be full-width.

This seems difficult to do, because BBP is using page.php to render all its stuff.

Have to say I admire all the work that’s clearly gone into BBP, but the way the themes are working does seem quite complex. I can’t help feeling there may be a better way of structuring it? The problem seems to be that you can *sort of* use your normal WP theme directory, but the options for controlling the layout are very limited.

Just realised I probably need to try the 2.1 beta version.

I went to the URL suggested above https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/plugin and downloaded the zip file. However, WP gives me an error saying “invalid plugin header”. Anyone know how to fix this?

BobHatcher
    Participant

@bobhatcher

Any updates on the status of 2.1? The way it deals with theme compatibility is great.

I installed the 2.1 beta on a test site using harnold007’s directions (I wish he’d tell us what the modifications were in steps 3 and 5!)

When I tried to change themes, or even to deactivate 2.1 I got this error. Anyone know how to fix it?

Fatal error: Class ‘BBP_Theme_Compat’ not found in /homepages/6/d396770293/htdocs/Clean_Test/wp-content/themes/bbp-twentyten/functions.php on line 32

The modifications in step 3 and 5 depend on your theme/layout.

In step 3 I made css modifications to “theme” the forum colors mostly. These modifications are unique to each site. I just use firefox to inspect elements then locate that element in the bbpress.css file and change it to how I want it to look.

In step 5 I modified page.php to remove the sidebar. Again this is specific to your site however this is how my page.php looks

Code:
    <?php get_header(); ?>

<!– BEGIN MAIN WRAPPER –>
    <div id=”main-wrapper”>

<!– BEGIN MAIN –>
    <div id=”main3″>

<?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <!– BEGIN POST –>
    <div id=”post”>

<h3 class=”section-title”><?php the_title(); ?></h3>

<div class=”post-entry”>

<?php the_content(); ?>
    <?php wp_link_pages(‘before=<span class=”page-links”>Pages: &after=</span>’); ?>

</div>

</div>
    <!– END POST –>
    <?php endwhile; endif; ?>

</div>
    <!– END MAIN –>

</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

Is it possible to insert a search form in the forum header? I have tried to create it my theme’s searchform.php with these code :

<form id=”search” name=”searchform” method=”get”>

<input type=”search” id=”ts” name=”ts” title=”Search Topics” placeholder=”Search Topics” />

<button type=”submit” value=”search” id=”searchsubmit”>Search</button>

</form>

<form id=”search” name=”searchform” method=”get”>

<input type=”search” id=”rs” name=”rs” title=”Search Replies” placeholder=”Replies” />

<button type=”submit” value=”search” id=”searchsubmit”>Search</button>

</form>

The first one search for topics when in a specific forum (e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/forums/forum/test)

The second one search for replies when in a specific topic (e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/forums/topic/this-is-a-test)

The problem is, I just want the first one to appear in “/forums/forum/test” and the second one in “/forums/topic/this-is-a-test”. Where should I insert those codes?

Or do anyone here have a better idea to make a search form? I tried to make a bbpress search-by-categories page but I’m kinda stuck.

Please test it. It’s new code with a new approach, so I’d like to get some fresh eyes on things right away to avoid a long beta period like 2.0 had.

survivalbill-2

@survivalbill-2

I have put this in to a post.

[bbp-forum-index]<-Must be something wrong this can not be the way the forums look I am using the Twenty Eleven 1.3 and bbpress Version 2.0.2 everything is up to date what do I do to fix this forum listing so that it looks like a normal forum?

http://www.school.survivalbill.ca/?page_id=334

[bbp-topic-index] <-this I dont want just have it up to see what it looks like

Looks alright to me @survivalbill-2. I use bbpress on my site http://www.ibikiniwax.com/forum and it looks similar to yours – do you mean the layout or the list of Forums up top?

survivalbill-2

@survivalbill-2

yes I want mine to look like yours what did you do to get it like that?

the layout it did on mine is just stupid any idea on how to get it to look like yours?

How can i disable HTML and/or VISUAL editor? (2.1 plugin version)

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar