Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 1,184 total)
  • @DeysonOrtiz

I had the same issue, check your permissions! Fixed it for me.

DeysonOrtiz
    Participant

@deysonortiz

@Driz: Which folder? What should the permissions be set at ?

Thank you.

Joris

@jorisdieben

I am testing the plugin and really like the simplicity of it. This could be an ‘community’ alternative to Buddypress, because I found Buddypress too heavy for high traffic sites.But what I really like from Buddypress are the public profiles and front end account / admin options.

Are there any plans to make public profiles in this new plugin, instead of using the default WP admin area? Something like BBpress has right now for example..

I prefer they don’t add profiles to this plugin, that’s not neccesairy for a forum plugin. They should keep this as simple as possible.

@joris: you can use specific plugin like mingle

Joris

@jorisdieben

@willabee I also think that it is important to keep this plugin as simple as possible. But the profiles are already included in the backend of WP, to bring this to the frontend would be important to keep the look and feel of the site.

@Dudd This would be an option indeed. But since the topic posts aren’t included in the author archives, it still wouldn’t be possible for users to find their posts back..

exit
    Participant

@exit

Profiles are mandatory in a forum…

gswaim
    Participant

@gswaim

JJJ and Crew,

I have been waiting a long time for this plug-in. I can hang on, as long as I know it can do what I need. I am not sharp enough to look at the current files and understand how it gets implemented; therefore, I have one basic question.

I am using my WP install to deliver the equivalent of an online course. I want to provide a forum for each module within the course. So, with the bbPress plugin, will I be able to put a given forum on one page and another forum on another page?

It appears that most of the presentation is controlled by code on a page template. I could create multiple page templates, as needed. I just don’t know if your solution will allow me to display a specific forum on a specific page.

Thanks for your work on this!

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

gswaim, test it out and see if it does what you want – I’d be inclined to say yes.

http://wordpress.elfden.co.uk/forum/

I update every few days, so it is fairly upto date.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@gswaim – In short, yes it is possible, although it may require an additional plugin file to help bridge the two together, or at least some customized theme files to handle the display of forums and topics within your custom setup.

gswaim
    Participant

@gswaim

Rich,

Thanks. I registered with the site a while back, but didn’t realize I had so much ability on the back end. I didn’t see how to start a new forum but I see how you basically control what is presented with page templates.

Since there is a “single-bbp_forum” file in the theme’s directory, I assume I can assign a single forum to a specific page. This is what I need.

Looks promising.

Thanks!

Noticed in the latest revision that the bbPress theme appears within the WP Themes section, but I don’t like the fact you have to activate the bbPress theme and then just inherit the Parent Theme would much rather that the theme files be within the actual WP theme like you do when using the Template Pack for BuddyPress.

Also I also strongly agree with the others about NOT having public profiles, there are plenty of plugins out there than can do this so no need for it, plus if you have buddypress running as well you will end up with duplicate profiles like you do with the current stand-alone bbPress system.

EDIT: Actually WP supports public profiles out of the box /author/yourname it’s just a case of the template file showing the additional information! But if you want to make them public editable then grab Theme My Login plugin.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

The included theme is an example – in time you’ll see a few themes that are bbPress ready.

What’s the story with the Forum Profiles?

Hoping that the devs gonna stick with the built-in one and then allow users to either grab Theme My Login or BuddyPress to allow public editing if they feel they need it.

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

You can add your input on the bbPress Forum Profiles over in the relevant Trac Ticket JJJ opened a few days ago, I already added my own thoughts back then too, but in general the ”framework” is there with the WordPress Profile, it might just need a little extra stuff! https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1364

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

Rich Pedley wrote:

“in time you’ll see a few themes that are bbPress ready. “

Is this true? the new version will use is own themes? if the next version is a wordpress pluggin, having its own themes its kind of odd.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

There won’t be loads, but I’m confident there will be a few. But more importantly there will be documentation on how to adapt existing themes. This is where child themes come in really handy.

DeysonOrtiz
    Participant

@deysonortiz

Hello, I played with all the permissions and I still can not see the plugin, in case anyone had any other ideas.

I am using the Hybrid Theme.

Thank you.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

What is your server setup?

DeysonOrtiz
    Participant

@deysonortiz

I am not doing my own hosting.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

There won’t be loads, but I’m confident there will be a few. But more importantly there will be documentation on how to adapt existing themes. This is where child themes come in really handy.

WordPress has themes, and bbpress as a pluggin will have themes aswell?

Why not “copy” simple:press “aproach” to this… the forum is displayed on a wordpress page, no fidling with themes, if bbpress was a standalone software like it was untill now its logical to have themes, but in my opinion having themes for a pluggin its to much… my 3 cents anyway…

I currently have several sites running standalone bbpress.org with deep integration. How would I convert over when this new plugin is developed?

I would echo ricardouk views that It would make sense to just display the forum on a wordpress page to avoid the hassle of fiddling with different themes.

What is likely to be in the core? I would like to have plugins in the core or optionally built in and maintained as core plugins specifically these ones.

Adsense for BBPress

Ajaxed Quotes

Akismet

Allow Images

BBClitcha

BBCode Buttons

bbPM

BBVideo

Terms of Service

I would think all of them should be in the core except maybe Adsense for BBPress

I am not a computer guy but if you want a dummy tester I would fit the bill

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I only see akismet as being a core plugin out of that list myself.

I know I’ll be writing a few plugins for it myself once it gets to that stage.

I think JJJ has said that other method of integration may be possible, but by going the theme route it does allow for better templating of the forum.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

updated the demo, you’ll see a few widgets in the sidebar (ticket already open…)

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

…I think JJJ has said that other method of integration may be possible, but by going the theme route it does allow for better templating of the forum.

i’ll still use it and recommend it but isnt it a bit “strange”? from standalone to pluggin so that all the integration problems disappear…so why not integrate with wordpress theme and leave all those theme integration problems in the past? Why insisting on a thing that has plagued these forums for so long.

Really hope we can “display” the forum in a wordpress page, from what i read when searching these forums a large majority wanted bbpress to have same theme as wordpress.

Im not a coder so i can´t contribute to bbpress but i’m hoping as a user that this “point” can be taken in consideration by the dev team.

Viewing 25 replies - 201 through 225 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar