Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 901 through 925 (of 1,184 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tofugu – Simple plugins can easily swoop in and take control of the allowed tags. Right now it relies on the same tags that are allowed in comments.

This is the second time this situation has come up, so I made a last minute change to the topic/reply form template files to alert the user of this additional ability.

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

@JJJ: Any change, you could take a quick look at my questions? As I would love to move on testing tomorrow..

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

I’m working on a danish translation of bbPress, and is about half way through, but would like to test if the terms are used correctly in context. But for some reason I can’t make it use my .po file. I’ve copied both the .po and .mo to the /wp-content/languages/ folder, and the files are named: bbpress-da_DK.po/.mo

What is wrong?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@DanielJuhl – Those don’t sound like questions as much as noticing bugs. For the fixes you’ve incorporated into the importer, can you share them on the development Trac so I can look at your approach and use them as the basis for fixes for Beta 2?

Regarding the languages folder, you need to put them in /wp-content/languages/bbpress/

In Beta 2 and beyond, the bbp-languages folder makes a return, and it can use GlotPress integration to provide the proper language files.

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

@JJJ: Thanks.. I’ve created a bug for the missing option to choose a Hidden or Private forum as parent. And after moving the language files to a subfolder named bbpress the translation worked. I’m trying to figure out the importer problem, to make a good bug report, and as far I can see you’ve already fixed problems that I made quick-fixes for (the same way I did it).

So the problem now, is that I can’t run the importer at all (returning the blank “content” after specifying the path. I’m looking into it, and testing to see if I can figures out what’s going on..

I have a new and simple questions, which might be a bug:

* Shouldn’t it be possible to choose either users og user roles of which are able to view hidden and private forums? As far as I can see, Administrators are the only one to view these, and no changes can be made.

Has anyone run into the situation of users not being able to edit their own topics?

I’m still running alpha 3167 as my site is now live and I don’t want to risk updating until I’m OK with potentially taking it down for a day or two, in case there are issues migrating to the beta.

But even so, has anyone seen this or have there been any changes that might have affected this capability?

Admins can edit their own topics just fine, but regular users just see a blank page when they try.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

@JJJ: I’ve now created some bug reports, hope this will helps you find the bug location.

Is it possible that DanielJuhl’s browser isn’t working with the importer, or (more likely) that his server’s permissions or other settings are interfering?

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Hi John,

Great work, I am really looking forward to being able to migrate my forums over to the plugin. Here is my experience so far: I installed the plugin (install went fine on 3.1.2) and then I tried to run the importer on my standalone install. I selected migrate users option and I received the following error as the second line of feedback during the import process:

“There was a problem duplicating the table bb_users to wp_users”

After which, my WP admin users were no longer in existence and when I tried to go back to the WP tools tab I was asked for a new admin login, which was rejected (slightly alarming because my WP install with all the themes and plugins off doesn’t do a heck of a lot). I rolled back to my database backup.

Edited: now I see that this was my fault because I overlooked the fact that the bbpress and WP databases have to be the same database. If the outcome of missing this info is breaking WP, would it be possible to do a check for whether bb_users are in the database before attempting to migrate them?

Thanks,

Halle

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

@Morgan Wick: I can’t say it can’t be one of those.. I’ve tried both Chrome and Firefox on Mac OS X, and both fails. I can be server settings, but I’m running a dedicated server with full access, and no settings has been made strict (safe mode etc.), so it would surprise me, if that was the case.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Halle – Sorry for your frustrations! That’s a good idea. We’ve made some changes to the importer that *should* help prevent that from happening, but I’ll specifically attempt to duplicate your install and prevent that from happening to anyone else.

@Morgan & DanielJuhl – Getting the importer dialed in correctly for the varying types of installations we all might have is a unique challenge, and we’re going to need to iterate on it through beta releases to get it up to snuff. Some changes have already been made that should improve the chances of it finding an existing installation and importing everything. These adjustments will be in the Beta 2 release, which should be available in the next few days.

@DanielJuhl – Thank you for creating those bug reports. I’ll take a look at them this week and get them sorted.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Thank John. Will I be able to import my users if I first do bbpress/WP integration? Or will that not change the fact that my bbpress users are on the separate bbpress db?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Halle – The importer can’t merge two sets of user tables together, it can only pick which set to use. In situations where both WP ad bbPress have two different sets of users, you’ll need to do some manual labor in the DB to make things exactly how you want them.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Gotcha. Any pointers to where I should start reading in order to do the manual labor? Even if I don’t switch over now with the beta, it’s pretty important to me to switch over eventually so I’d like to start that db migration process.

With the new plugin importer, I am noticing my imported threads all have an empty first post. Is there a query I can run to delete all first posts, or a way to troubleshoot the import script at what I might have done wrong?

I just noticed there is no “views” column so members can know how many times a particular topic had been read. Are there plans to add this? It’s a much-desired feature.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

tooltrainer: That was a plugin by _ck_. I might port it over if she doesn’t. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

kai920: That probably means that the first posts weren’t cached properly by bbPress standalone (when it was asked to do by the importer). It might fix if you restore your backup and run the import again.

Aha… I had read somewhere that _ck_ had gone “underground” and kinda disappeared. Not sure if that’s actually the case but either way I would sure love to have a Views column. Thanks!

Jonathan

This is a problem with the “oh, we can make it a plugin” approach used for bbPress standalone: a good chunk of the userbase won’t upgrade until the plugins are upgraded too. I was going to start a bbPress 1.0 forum but I was dependent on so many _ck_ plugins that I basically decided to wait for 2.0 (though inability to make the theme match my site and getting too busy to even work on my blog were also contributing factors). Luckily WordPress has taken steps to prevent this (though I have a plugin that’s been basically abandoned that’s been keeping me on the 2.9 series, but it’s not a particularly popular plugin, as evidenced by the fact that it’s gone through at least three different incarnations as developers have stopped working on it).

On that note, my bbPress standalone installation was formally integrated with my WordPress installation in every way, but because I never really “launched” the forum I’d like to completely uninstall it and start over when 2.0 comes out of beta. However, I’m a little concerned that bbPress may have left some clutter in my WordPress database that I’d like to completely get rid of. How easy would that be? I’m the only user account on my site and I cut off any registrations on my bbPress installation so I’m the only account there too.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Morgan – You should just be able to remove the database tables prefixed with “bb_” and that’s it. You don’t really even need to do that, since the size of those tables is likely very small. That along with possibly your admin user having the “Key Master” user role rather than the “Admin” one. Otherwise, the two platforms don’t really touch each other at all when they are integrated.

kai920: That probably means that the first posts weren’t cached properly by bbPress standalone (when it was asked to do by the importer). It might fix if you restore your backup and run the import again.

Hi Gautam,

I should clarify: the topic’s first post does get imported but it’s imported as the SECOND post. There is just an empty, extra first post in every imported topic.

I’ve tried re-running the import but I get the same result.

Could something be wrong with my existing bb_ tables?

Here is a screencap: http://i55.tinypic.com/23r5kwo.jpg

It sounds like the first post isn’t being recognized as the start of the thread for some reason. Which might be because “the first posts weren’t cached properly” – ie, they were cached as ordinary posts, not as thread-starting posts.

Presumably the importer is finding all the requisite information to create the thread, but it isn’t finding anything that would be content for the thread-starting post, so it creates the thread-starting post as blank.

Did that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense thanks :)

So, how do I make sure the first posts are ‘cached properly’? I ran another test import and on the screen, the feedback the plugin importer gave was:

Added topic #2559 (LG's iPhone - the KS20) as topic #1374 with 1 replies.

Is ‘1 reply’ same as ‘1 post’ (and no replies), or does it mean it had 1 reply to the original post?

edit: this line isn’t returning anything (i.e. $first_post is empty)

$first_post = bb_get_first_post( $topic->topic_id );

edit2: turns out, there IS something wrong with my bb_posts table… the post_position column is all 0! Is there a way to repair this?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@kai920 – Go to the tools/recount area of your stand alone installation, and run all of the recount functions there (just to be on the safe side.)

Viewing 25 replies - 901 through 925 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar