Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 851 through 875 (of 1,184 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Rick – Can you create a new topic with these questions please? They are starting to pertain specifically to helping you with your site, and not with bbPress. Thanks :)

OK, possibly dumb question here… how do users upload an avatar image for bbP?

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

They don’t. Gravatar. Or use BuddyPress if you need real profiles, images, etc…

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It’s come up a few times now, where people have been using

add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );

incorrectly. As a result, I’ve added some extra checks and failsafes to make sure that even if you incorrectly report that your theme supports bbPress, it will still fall back to the theme compatibility files. This kind of change is pretty late in the game, so be sure to update your installations and report if anything breaks. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

First pass at RSS2 feeds is now in the plugin. Surprisingly, not as easy as I thought they were going to be, so be sure to test these. They are accompanied by 2 new settings options to control the per page count of their RSS feeds.

Starting to run out of room in the theme to put links to feeds, so still working that out. Until then you can access topic/reply feeds by appending “/feed” or “/feed?type=reply” to single topics and forums.

@jjj

I see… I’m afraid I have never used gravatar and don’t know anything about it. Since my site is a membership site (as many forums are), the membership script has its own profile image support that obviously doesn’t show up in bbP. I think that’s going to be a pretty common situation for people doing members-only forums.

Is there any guidance you could give someone who wants to replace the bbP avatar image, with one from out membership site? Like what file governs them and is currently displaying the little snowman image? I’m thinking of creating a plugin to do just that.

Thanks,

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@jvanclute – I deleted your posts because they are security related. The way it works now, is if you are the site admin you have the unfiltered_html capability, which allows you as a trusted site administrator to post whatever you want to. What you described isn’t allowed for non-admins.

I’ll look through things again and probably incorporate more aggressive filtering, even for admins.

OK whew, that’s a bit of a relief. I just tried the same thing from a normal member level account and the dangerous stuff was removed so… relieved.

Of course I’m not sure even admins should be able to post what I was able to post, or at least require it be wrapped in some special tag like <raw> or something. I am often going to need to display code for my members and obviously I can’t have it executing! I need some sort of efficient way to have it be sanitized.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for posting security related stuff improperly.

(Oh and also sorry for the multiple account posts, I didn’t realize earlier I had been logged into that other account.)

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

What happens if you wrap that code in a proper code element?

No worries about posting security stuff here. Live and learn. :)

I’m going to put up a sticky post here with more clear directions, and when/where to do what/why.

I actually did wrap the code in a code tag, and it did nothing. The code just executed. Of course once I sanitized the code, it got highlighted in yellow.

Jonathan

Seriously though, is there some way we can help you out push this forwards? I’m obsessed with this forum plugin now lol.

bbPress plugin where have you been all my life!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Haha! A beta will be in the WP repo when you wake up tomorrow.

Awesome =3 i wai for the plugin…thats the reason why i wait to release my new project xD

P.S.

We really do need a solution that allows members to post code in a “safe” way. I’ve already got members wanting to post helpful code snippets for each other, and they can’t.

Is something like this in the plan? Or should I develop a custom plugin that makes it possible?

Thanks,

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

bbPress 2.0 beta 1 is now available in WordPress extend for public testing.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

Arjun S Kumar
    Participant

@arjunskumar

Congo JJJ and Gauti. ;-)

Thank you ^^, but heres the first problem..

I get a blank site if i use /forums/

All other sites and pages work >.<

The permalinks are ok too..><

ok i get a blank site only in my theme…what should i do..

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Do you have a physical /forums folder at the root of your installation? If not, is there anything else strange happening that you can report?

Hi.. not really….

m theme work perfect…but if i click on the forum i get a blank site…nothing more.

hm..should i make some changes in my theme? i dont use the twenty theme..

It is possible to create a page and put a bbcode to insert the forum?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Yes it is possible. The shortcodes you want are most likely…

[bbp-forum-index]

[bbp-topic-index]

When bbPress 2.0 officially launches, there will be an interface for these hidden shortcodes.

Thank you, now the forum is included…but only th Index..each other link from the forum shw me a blank site.

Second, the index looks like this..

http://250kb.de/u/110521/p/ydvZCOnJbHrD.PNG

…what can i do ?

i used the mingle forum without problems..but i want to use the bbpress…but now i have problems. Hope they can be fixed..

maybe i must write something in my theme index to include the forum skin and files?

@cor-van-noorloos

Hello,

Not entirely sure if this would be the best topic to post this, but running WordPress in debug mode, I’m getting quite a few non-object notices.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/design24/public_html/klanten/20/wp-includes/general-template.php on line 1477
    Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/design24/public_html/klanten/20/wp-includes/author-template.php on line 208
    Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/design24/public_html/klanten/20/wp-includes/category-template.php on line 1081

Also, when editing this post with some proper code markup there seems to be 2 Notify me of follow-up posts via email boxes available.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Cor – What theme are you using? Those appear to be WordPress core errors, and I’m not immediately sure how bbPress would cause those to happen.

Just wondering.

Alpha 2 was installed on a site by downloading the files from trac and uploading via FTP.

After seeing the notice from JJJ on this site that the beta-1 was released and in the repository, I was curious why the update notice didn’t occur within the control panel.

Any thoughts?

I went ahead and downloaded/uploaded through FTP but was just curious.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@MelloMoose – Can you please start your own support topic and not post personal help requests in this one? Thanks. Once you do I’ll delete your posts here. :)

@LPH2005 – Since the stable tag isn’t numeric yet, it’s likely that it won’t trigger the update notice until it goes gold. I’ll look into it though.

Viewing 25 replies - 851 through 875 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar