Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 351 through 375 (of 1,184 total)

• Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

bleh, the one time I didn’t.

brain bug then ;)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

Had to resave permalinks as well.

I’m noticing more issues as well.

eg:

function _wp_get_user_contactmethods() in /public_html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-includes/bbp-user-template.php on line 721

when trying to edit a users profile in the front end.

incoming trac ticket.

Does the plugin already have some function like the is_single() function in WordPress? Would be handy for the project I’m working on atm. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Willabee

bbp_is_forum(), bbp_is_topic(), bbp_is_reply().

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

if all topics are deleted from a forum, freshness shows a time instead of showing ‘no post’ message.

wordpress 3.04 and branches_plugin-2778

https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1444

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

For bugs where you’re comfortable creatIng a trac ticket, save yourself the work and don’t worry about cross-posting it here. We get email notifications on all trac activity, so we see them there right away.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I usually do, though sometimes if I’m unsure I prefer to get a bit of feedback first ;)

Chris Cash
    Participant

@cashman

Is there a link to download for testing?

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

@johnjamesjacoby

Is it better to post here first and then if confirm, then post to trac?

@Cashman

https://trac.bbpress.org/browser/branches/plugin

Go to zip archive at bottom of page

@Rich-Pedley

I feel the same since I’m not a developer

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

If you’re sure it’s a bug post on Trac.

If you have weird things happening straight after upgrading, I’d suggest posting here first. Because upgrades aren’t smooth yet.

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

I have the plugin (2785) installed on 3.04 and 3.1 RC2. Both installations are Multisite, use Month & Name permalinks, and the bbPress Twenty Ten theme. When I click on a forum name in 3.04 it takes me to my front page, but 3.1 RC2 responds as expected. I’ve tried deactivating and reactivating the plugin and theme with the same outcome, but switching permalinks to the default fixed the problem.

@ Gautum

Thanks, but these do not seem to work on the frontpage of the forum?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

My rule regarding trac vs forums, is that the forums are traditionally for support and confirmation of an issue occuring, and the trac is for when bugs appear that can be duplicated and/or you have a suggested code change. You can even drop enhancement requests in the trac if you have a really neat idea, even better if you have a patch to match it.

Core developers live and breathe by the trac. If it isn’t in there, it doesn’t exist. It’s our diary of development, and without it our lives would be much more difficult. The trac is less social, and more developer speak. The forums tend to be a little more relaxed.

With WordPress 3.1 almost in its third release candidate, we can expect it to ship really, really soon. That said, it makes sense to drop 3.0 support and focus on 3.1. I’ve made sure we’ve stayed compatible with 3.0 this entire time, but it’s time to focus on the version of WP that the bbPress plugin will see the most use on.

Thanks to everyone that’s been testing on 3.0 installations. If you *really* want this to be 3.0 compatible, definitely open trac tickets and contribute patches to keep that support alive.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

echoes my thoughts ;)

How long we’ll be waiting for the new version bbPress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@PaulMike – Not long now thanks to the efforts of GautamGupta. We’re going to be using it on a few community sites soon, so probably expect some kind of alpha in the next few weeks. There will be an official blog post to announce it when it’s time.

@John James Jacoby: WOW! Thanks :)

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

@jjj Thanks for the update. I think/agree focusing on compatibility with 3.1 is the best way to go.

@jjj, @gautam and all the contributing developers, Thank You.

Anonymous User 5853594
    Inactive

@anonymized-5853594

Great to hear that it’s almost ready for an official status update! Will it then be possible to use the auto updater, instead of having to download the zip and uploading it via FTP?

I’ve been running it on my site and I really like how it’s turning out. Keep up the good work. =)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tieptoep – The alpha will probably not have a migration script from stand-alone to plugin, but we’ll more than likely put it in the WP.org plugin extend to engage a larger audience.

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

John James Jacoby: With WordPress 3.1 almost in its third release candidate, we can expect it to ship really, really soon. That said, it makes sense to drop 3.0 support and focus on 3.1.

I agree, it brings in new features we can take advantage of, which cuts out half the hassle that’d be needed to get them working in the first place! — Why try and rebuild something we can already use? :)

gswaim
    Participant

@gswaim

At the Raleigh 2009 WordCamp, when given the chance to present a question to Matt, I asked:

“What is the status of bbPress?”

His response was that bbPress was alive and well and he wanted to develop it as a plug-in so the masses could easily implement it.

I asked this question then because I really needed a forum and I wanted to stick with a WP solution. Two years have passed and adding a forum to my site has become my “Ground Hog Day.” I work hard at it, but somehow every morning when I wake up my site still doesn’t have a forum.

Over the last two years I have installed about every forum solution on the market (I think I installed SimplePress at least 3 times). They all looked like an add-on, so they got pulled.

Then Justin Tadlock was going to knock one out and that also fizzled. He had a pretty decent looking forum in a matter of weeks, but it was never finished. Or at least it was never released.

I have to admit when I saw this reply from JJJ,

With the holidays coming up and starting my new job at Automattic, progress on the plugin is going to slow down for a week or two.”

it seemed like another Ground Hog Day to me. I would have thought that having the lead developer of the bbPress plug-in working for Matt (who adamantly supports the bbPress plug-in),the project would have gone faster, not slower.

I am not trying to be critical. I just wanted to put some historical perspective on this project. In my humble opinion, for WP to be considered a CMS, it needs to have a forum core plug-in. I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see this major missing piece fall into place.

I am not a coder and I can only sit back and keep my fingers crossed that one morning I wake up and my WP-powered site is truly a CMS with a WP supported forum.

Thanks for the hard work. Let’s push on. I can smell the end zone!

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

gswaim: Then Justin Tadlock was going to knock one out and that also fizzled. He had a pretty decent looking forum in a matter of weeks, but it was never finished. Or at least it was never released.

If you want to read a particular thread that talked about it (maybe in a little more detail) but more importantly a reply from Justin Tadlock, then that might give you a little more insight as to why he never released it! Hope that helps a little? :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@gswaim – I can assure you bbPress as a WordPress plugin is no ground-hog day (although that is one of my favorite Bill Murray movies.) There’s more activity in the bbPress trac over the past 2 months than there has been in the previous 18.

Evidenced by: https://trac.bbpress.org/log/

Matt and I have shared a similar interest in having forum integration inside WordPress since 2008 when I first started using WordPress and bbPress regularly. The bbPress stand-alone can be deeply integrated with great success into WordPress. bbPress.org is a great example of how they can play nice together, as are WordPress.org and WordPress.com. All of the support forums use bbPress with shared user tables and dedicated themes to make them look the part.

But, I’m with you in that it just isn’t as turn-key simple as it could and should be.

Regarding Tadlock’s plugin, he volunteered an early iteration of his code to me which helped confirm I was on the right track and give some ideas on how to do a few things I hadn’t finished yet. So his forums haven’t fizzled, they’ve been merged into bbPress so he doesn’t need to bare the burden of supporting another large library of code, and instead he can contribute back to it when he has time or needs something specific.

Regarding my job with Automattic, progress slowed because every new employee does a 3 week training session with the Happiness Engineer team. It just so happened that my 3 weeks ended as the holiday season began. Not due to lack of importance, just not-so-good timing for writing code. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Regarding the migration script, it’s a super high priority item, but the plugin core needs to settle before it makes sense to start building that bridge. By the time the plugin officially launches, there will be a migration script included.

Viewing 25 replies - 351 through 375 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar