Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 251 through 275 (of 1,184 total)
  • cool. Thanx for the updates. Another good things to consider BBpress.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Just added page-bbp_no_replies.php to theme, which is a page template that shows topics without replies, similar to what we have here: https://bbpress.org/forums/view/no-replies

The bbp-twentyten theme is turning into a full fledged theme that includes some good tricks on how to manipulate forum, topic, and reply queries on the fly. I’ll be sure to include more documentation in the theme so that it’s easier to take snippets out and use them in cool ways.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Just tested this with W3 Total Cache and WP Super Cache, and both seem to respond really, really well to the bbPress plugin. W3 Total Cache chops off a bunch of queries and increases load times in all the same ways it does for normal WordPress blog posts and pages, and does a great job of keeping up with post_meta changes when new topics and replies happen.

If you want to optimize your bbPress plugin for WordPress installation, I’d recommend starting with either of those.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

sounds good, will play later.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

That’s excellent news about W3 Total Cache, I’m very glad to hear you’re paying attention to the big cache plugins. WP+BP+BB is no joke laughing matter ;)

“First pass at user profiles and front-end user profile editing is now in the plugin branch. Props GautamGupta for the original patch as part of one of his Google Code-in tasks.”

So.. will this extra function be easily shut off or are we gonna have to rip it out? Or is it gonna detect wether BuddyPress is activated?

Not working out for me just yet – deactivated/activated, Saved the on Permalinks panel, and started a new topic. The link in my gravatar or user name goes to /blog/user/$username/, which is picked up by the 404 handler.

Am I supposed to be linked to a different url structure?

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

Is this locally? I have the same issue, but on my webhosts it works fine

eg. http://wordpress.elfden.co.uk/user/admin/

oh and relevant trac ticket: https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1391

Nope, latest trunk in a test WP 3.1 install on my webserver.

/user/admin works directly in the bbp-twentyten theme, but the links on topics are still off of /blog/{/user/admin} for me.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

ahh that’s a thought, I’m running 3.1 as well… I’ll test in 3.0.2

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

Reset theme to twentyten, then reactivate the bbPress theme. then reset your permalinks – that should set it up – as in it did for me in 3.1 and 3.0.2

I’ve updated that ticket.

I actually had a slightly different experience. My permalink structure was set to custom, which was certainly not intentional. I changed it to %month%/%name% and this finally updated the link. (No effect on switching themes.)

I guess it is just a little tricky to reliably force a flush in the links.

I agree with your suggestion in the ticket that /forum/user/admin would be preferable.

scorpio0679

@scorpio0679

For bbPress forum topics will it be possible to store in separate directory than blog posts? In this way:

example.com/archives/2010/12/06/blog-entry-title

example.com/forums/forumname/2010/12/06/forum-topic-title

Thanks for everything you guys are doing—I also asked a question in the most recent blog entry comments as I hadn’t found this thread yet.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Haven’t explored the idea of include year/month/day in the topic slug, but it should be possible to do.

Right now you’ll end up with something like:

example.com/forums/forum/forum-title/

example.com/forums/topic/topic-title/

…and even…

example.com/forums/reply/reply-title/

…if you want to create a single template to show off one individual reply.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Made some changes to sub-forum functionality and display. Using the WP_Query class it’s possible to retrieve and manipulate almost any combination of forums and subforms, so what’s currently in bbPress plugin core is going to be an iterative process that I hope some of you are able to contribute to. :)

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

Is the /forums/forum/ | /forums/topic/ slug changeable via a define?

Btw, awesome job so far, JJJ!

Have to take the bbPress plugin out for a test drive soon!

Thank’s JJJ, i have add some new tickets…

We will need quickly converter (bbpress stand-alone version –> bbpress plugin) that we can test realy the plugin on our forums, because on demo site we can’t test realy the plugin without activity (administrate topics, users, editing ..etc)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I lot of the administrative features aren’t active/coded yet, so I think they have a higher priority atm. (ie: Edit | Trash | Close | Sticky | Move Links).

The importer will happen, but I personally think the plugin needs to be virtually complete before it gets written. (I could of course be wrong).

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Rich is right. It ends up being a little bit chicken/egg but it should stand on its own before we open up the possibility of converting any data over.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

Has any thought gone into integrating the existing akismet plugin to work with this? And should that functionality be in core if it possible?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Yes and yes. :)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

excellent. I’ll wait for a few more things to be added before I code my extension to it then ;)

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Using Rich’s test site, I enabled email notification for certain threads, but haven’t seen a single notification. Is that not working yet?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@citizenkeith: Should be working? Worth testing though.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I’ll be looking at this later on, but initial tests seem to indicate it isn’t working.

Viewing 25 replies - 251 through 275 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar