Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Shortcodes

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Closed and unstickied. See the codex page for details.

* Forums

[bbp-forum-index] – Show the forum index/archive

[bbp-single-forum id=$forum_id] – Show a single forums topics

* Topics

[bbp-topic-index] – Show the topics index/archive

[bbp-topic-form] – Show the new topic form

[bbp-single-topic id=$topic_id] – Show a single topic

* Topic Tags

[bbp-topic-tags] – Show a tag cloud of all topic tags

[bbp-single-topic-tag] – Show the topics within a specific tag

* Replies

[bbp-reply-form] – Show the topic reply form

* Views

[bbp-single-view] – Show topics associated with a specific view

* Account

[bbp-login] – Show the login screen

[bbp-register] – Show the register screen

[bbp-lost-pass] – Show the lost password screen

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Thanks for the short-codes John… but as a completely new user of bbPress how exactly do I use these? What is the proper structure, for instance, if I create a new page in wp and want to add this to the HTML?

The reason I ask is because I’ve been having problems getting bbPress setup properly and have posted this problem already in the forums but from what I gather – 1 or more of these short-codes might be the fix for my problem. Here is a snippet of my previous post stating the actual problem I’m having:

I’ve installed bbPress (2.0 version) and had a few problems then deleted it and re-installed. Now, when I go the “Forums” tab in wp-admin and I try to either edit the “draft” forum or add a new forum I get the naming option as:

http://www.maghosttrappers.com/forums/forum/????? (??? = whatever I type in as name)

Is this the correct settings? ie. /forums/forum/whatever_I_name … seems a little long and redundant…

I wasn’t sure if by re-installing I had caused a problem or if this being the “beta version” it was setup to not write over an existing forum…

Either way, can anyone tell me where and how to change this if possible (at least take out one of the “forum” parts?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Scott

folgerj
    Participant

@folgerj

Thanks I added the short code to create a new page that shows up on the menu line. I used the following…

[bbp-login]

[bbp-register]

[bbp-lost-pass]

[bbp-topic-index]

[bbp-topic-form]

At this location..

http://jeff-foliage.com/fall-foliage-forum/

My only question is there anything better I can do with the shortcodes to implement the login and register page?

Jeff

Jim R
    Participant

@jim-r

I’ve tried the shortcode for the index page, and it’s not taking me to my forum.

http://hoosierhoopsreport.com

I’m trying to use the plugin version.

thanks i’m really enjoying bbpress plugin version, after some day of testing now i think it’s really great ;)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

elmalak
    Participant

@elmalak

Hi,

I’ve found this page very useful and it helped me create the main forum page as I wanted it to be.

http://www.carsrecoverylondon.com/forum/

However, once I go into the forum pages, or topics, everything gets lost, for example, I used a specific page template for the forum page I created with the short code, but once I go into the topics or so, it reverts back to the regular page template.

Is there a way to force all forum pages to appear in my specified page template so it would keep all my customizations?

Many thanks,

emanagedfutures

@emanagedfutures

I had the same problem as Jim. It’s not working on my index page for one of my sites. I wonder what the workaround because it seems to work on other pages.

Love the shortcodes! Job well done on this plugin version. I can now use a shortcode on a custom page and display this as the root of my site in WP while keeping WP for additional pages/posts! :)

Thanks a million!

Krispulo2000

@krispulo2000

Hi,

I like to use [bbp-forum-index] shortcode in sidebar and show only Topics number (as https://bbpress.org/forums/). Now show Topics, Post, Freshness. Can i choose which parameters to display?

Thxs

So how should my hierarchy looks like, i cannot create a good one…

What I did is:

1. I created a PAGE, and name it as ‘forum’

so the link would be http://mydomain.com/forum

-the content of that page is the shortcode [bbp-forum-index]

2. I created a FORUM named General Discussions

-problem is when i open that forum, shows nothing, just the header

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

3. I created again a PAGE named general chat and put the shortcode

[bbp-topic-form]

im pretty messed up, can you guide me on creating this forum

i have an idea, but seems i cannot explain and do it

something like

Is there a way to pull custom icons in front of each post title under the forum section?

sulliwane2
    Participant

@sulliwane2

Hi,

Is there a way to make the shortcode [bbp-topic-index] displaying only a certain amount of topics ?

Something like [bbp-topic-index n=$number]

Thank you,

Sulliwane.

ps: your plugin is just awsome…really awsome, thank you so much

Same as above i would like to see a codex how to use those all PHP codes.

I often can understand the WP Codex and build unique themes because i can view the codex and work thing out.

Now i would like to create my own bbPress theme and forum layout-/display but i don’t have a codex to view what options i can use.

Shortcodes are great but not the most flexible.

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Hi,

I have the same problem as elmalak.

I would like to use a page to put my shortcode in – however if you do this then the links all revert back to the default forum slugs?

Jamie

HI,

Is there a shortcode for a searchform?

Xander

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If you have a custom theme (one which you control and maintain yourself) you can create a file named ‘bbpress.php’ in the root of your theme to act as the “wrapper” template for all of your forum content.

I am very interested in that ‘bbpress.php’ file, having the same issues as “elmalak”; once I go into the forum pages, or topics, everything gets lost, for example, I used a specific page template for the forum page I created with the short code, but once I go into the topics or so, it reverts back to the regular page template.

What do I put in the bbpress.php file to make it a “wrapper”?

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks John.

Is there a shortcode to get the latest topics from a specific category (forum). If there isn’t, how to get it?

Xander

Hi, I’m new member here. It took me long time to start believe and use bbPress since it kind lack of features before bbPress 2.0

Now using bbPress 2.0, I develop (still locally) a forum site that turn out to be wonderful. Can’t wait to upload it into real site.

I’m using elegantthemes Premium WP theme and finally able to merge it with bbPress theme smoothly. I can’t believe how much power I have now after merge theme together, but I still trying to make it just like an ordinary forum site.

I willing to share my experiences next time, but I do need this account related shortcodes and found it here, Big Thanks!

I still have question about roles, how I can set specific forum moderator? or just maybe forum role manual in general will be great.

I notes most plugin were outdated, can we force them to update it? I know that a silly question, but it a wish (our wish actually).

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

@noerman your questions are not actually related to shortcodes. You’d be better off starting new individual threads for your different questions.

Getting back on the topic of shortcodes: Just to reiterate what I brought up in the DevPress discussion about embedding forums in pages, I’d be very happy to have something like [bbp-reply-form id=$forum_id].

Both [bbp-single-forum id=ID] and [bbp-single-topic id=ID] include a reply form at the bottom.

The code wasn’t that hard, but there doesn’t seem to be a need, since you’d really want context to your ‘make a new post in the forum’ in that thread, wouldn’t you?

Are there options for short code [bbp-topic-index]?

e.g.

[bbp-topic-index max=7 pagination=off breadcrumbs=off]

Glad to see BBpress so tighly integrated with regular wp now, still it seems getting it running smoothly out the box is a bit of a challenge for the non-developer.

For instance, using the shortcodes scenario to list forums in a regular wp page is fine, but then when you click any of the forums the bbpress template is used instead, so any sidebar content which might have been added like logins, topics etc needs to be placed into the bbpress templates as well.

any advice on how to set it up so we can have a forums home, with all the bbpress widgets in the sidebar, and then maintain those throughout the forums.

Also off the bat the homepage of the forums doesn’t even have login or register buttons.

Finding some of the simple things you would expect missing.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@thecolab – A lot of the things you mention are more functions of a complete site than they are functions of only a forum. As such, bbPress can only predict so much of how any theme is setup, and sticks hard to the WordPress conventions of shortcodes, widgets, and theme hierarchy.

Since WordPress doesn’t have ‘section specific widgets’ neither does bbPress. Some people want full-width forums, others do not. bbPress comes with some examples on how you can make some of these things happen, but it doesn’t yet work for 100% of all themes and sites all the time.

Really what bbPress needs is for someone (other than me) to start developing themes and widgets for it. Until that happens, some things will remain balkanized my design to appeal to the greater 80% of WordPress users.

In addition, having someone contributing code patches and new features is also helpful. For a while Gautam was able to consistently help, and Jared helped with Genesis integration. If someone wants to dream up new features and code them under my tutelage, I’m happy to help someone else get things done.

Just a simple and maybe a stupid question: Where do i find the Forum ID?

I tried to copy the permalink but this wasn’t it.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar