Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 1.0.2 not finding my-templates

• TrishaM
    Participant

@trisham

I’ve just upgraded to newest version 1.0.2 and now can no longer access my “my-templates” folder with my custom theme files. In addition, it thinks that there are three versions of the default kakumei theme even though there is only one instance of that theme folder in the bb-templates folder.

It won’t even recognize my custom theme if I put it into the bb-templates folder – although the theme has worked perfectly before the upgrade, I have no way to choose it now.

I’ve searched for hours and cannot find any fix for this (and yes I did make sure that my permissions are set correctly to 755). I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Please paste the first 8-10 lines of your theme’s style.css here.

TrishaM
    Participant

@trisham

Hi Gautam – thanks for your response.

Below is what is at the top of my custom theme’s style.css – I did compare it to the default (kakumei) theme to be sure something hadn’t changed there with the new version of bbPress, but this should be working. It was working fine before the upgrade, but after the upgrade bbPress no longer ‘sees’ the two themes in the my-templates folder (the other is a testing theme I occasionally use to test new things). It does find the my-plugins folder just fine, just not the my-templates.

/*

Theme Name: TWE New

Theme URI: http://www.tech-kitten.com/

Description: Custom bbPress theme to match TWE site.

Version: 1.02

Author: Trisha Miller

Author URI: http://www.tech-kitten.com/

*/

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Are the subfolder permissions 755 as well?

They should be in my-templates, my-templates should be 755, and then each theme in its own folder, and that folder 755 as well. Any files inside the folder can be 644, but any folders should be 755.

For the duplicate copies of themes showing up, have you hidden any theme folders? I do that sometimes and I end up with multiple copies all looking the same.

Since this is not a common problem, it’s either something completely weird that’s not yet been reported, or it is the permissions problem, which has been reported.

GW

@cillianguywingfieldcom

Hi. I’m new to bbpress, and I seem to be having the same problem. The theme folders in my-templates do not show up on the Appearance page of my bb-admin. I’ve tried the 755 fix to no avail. Only the two default themes show up :(

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I’d be curious to find out what is causing this. It’s a pretty simple system. Only a few things can go wrong (that I know of)

1. permissions of the my-templates folder

2. location of the my-templates folder

3. permissions of the individual folders inside my-templates

4. improper header

Maybe it will be something else in either of these cases and we can add to the list. Maybe there is some server function that is not present or the host recently changed a configuration. What hosting do you use?

mod_security being locked down recently at a couple hosts has caused problems for some people.

TrishaM
    Participant

@trisham

Yes, the my-templates folder and its two sub-folders are set to 755. I did find that suggestion when searching for a fix, and made sure of that before posting my question, but it did not make any difference – I still can only choose from the two default (kakumei) themes……

I use 1&1 for hosting, and I don’t think they’ve made any changes but if I knew what to look for I could check that specifically – also, the my-templates folder was fine before I upgraded from 0.9.0.2 to the latest 1.0.2

What I’m doing in the meantime is just modifying the default kakumei theme, but that is not ideal because I’ll have to remember to keep it backed up and not overwrite it on the next upgrade…..I’d prefer to find a solution to the problem.

I’m grateful for any help anyone can offer.

cillianjoandidioninfo

@cillianjoandidioninfo

I have godaddy linux hosting. My situation is exactly the same as TrishaM’s

I have 1and1, I use dreamweaver and it doesn’t change permission smoothly. SOmetimes I need it change it through admin.1and1.com

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think either or both you you (cillian and TrishaM) need to find someone you trust who may be local who knows what they are looking at. It’s difficult to troubleshoot without being able to look at things first hand.

Can you post a screenshot of an FTP listing of the files and directories, showing permission and ownership?

Also, do you have access to error logs? It’s possible some sort of PHP function is turned off that is required for accessing these files.

FWIW, I use 1and1 as well and have no problem on several servers.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

This was the discussion of mod_security changes by Hostgator causing (admittedly different) problems:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/suddenly-getting-error-when-posting-videos

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Do any of the folder names have spaces in them? The Internet hates spaces.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Try renaming kakumei folder and see if bbPress still displays that or not.

cillianjoandidioninfo

@cillianjoandidioninfo

@Gautam I tried renaming kakumei something else and the forum displayed an error message and would not load so I switched the name back.

@chrishajer Here is a pic of my ftp and permission for my-templates: http://guywingfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Ftp-.png

Also, there are no spaces in the folder names.

cillianjoandidioninfo

@cillianjoandidioninfo

Also, I have no idea how to view error logs. I’m using Cyberduck for my ftp if that helps :)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The last time I recall hearing about a permissions thing it was on a mac client as well. I remember the screenshot.

Why is there no style.css shown in the my-templates/businesslike/ directory?

Also, why is there a businesslike directory INSIDE the businesslike directory? Shouldn’t there just be one level under my-templates?

What is inside the directory my-templates/businesslike/businesslike/ ? Is that where your theme is? Is style.css present there?

Where did this header information come from:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-102-not-finding-my-templates#post-68683

GW

@cillianguywingfieldcom

Here is another screen shot: http://guywingfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Snap.png

Yes, I’m not sure why businesslike is inside the businesslike directory or how I would fix this. In the new shot, you can see style.css is present there.

well that’s easy then, move all the files from the subdirectory into the main one.

they should not be in my-template/businesslike/businesslike but in my-template/businesslike.

How to fix? you can move them them up a directory, then delete the contained businesslike directory.

GW

@cillianguywingfieldcom

@Rich Pedley, thanks for the tip. I had to move out the contained businesslike directory, delete my-template/businesslike. Then I replaced the contained businesslike and it worked.

Thanks @chrishajer for all your help. Much appreciated.

TrishaM
    Participant

@trisham

@chrishajer – thanks for the tip on the folder names – even though the older version of bbPress did not have trouble with a space in the folder name, the latest version does – so I used an underscore in place of the space, and that fixed the problem for me…..many, many thanks again for your help!

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar