Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbp won't use my child theme instead of bbp-twentyten

• Clay

@clayheaton

I did the following today:

• Install a fresh version of wordpress and bbpress plugin.

• Copy all files (except style.css) from …/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten to my child theme folder

• Modify bbpress-functions.php to include add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );

bbpress is still using the bbpress.css file from wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/css

I’ve been tinkering with it for hours and I cannot get it to start using my child theme’s css files by default. They properties always are overwritten by the bbpress.css file in the plugins folder.

Ideas?

• This topic was modified 11 years, 9 months ago by Clay.
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

What happens if you move the CSS files over, too?

Clay

@clayheaton

It still calls the bbpress.css in the plugins folder. Is there a specific place that the add_theme_support line needs to go in bbpress-functions.php?

Clay

@clayheaton

I added a simple css line in my style.css file for my child theme to try to replace the background color of the rows on the forum index:

#content table tbody tr.odd td {background-color:#efefef;}

The web inspector in Firefox shows that it is recognized but precedence is taken by the aforementioned css file in the plugins folder.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 9 months ago by Clay.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If either your parent/child/current theme have /css/bbpress.css in it, the theme-compat one shouldn’t be getting pulled in. If it does, and it is, it’s a bug.

Clay

@clayheaton

That’s exactly what’s happening. I’m using the responsive theme. I have a responsive-child theme folder that includes the necessary information for me to use it and have responsive as the template, along with style.css that has some modifications to the responsive theme’s css. I then copied everything from …/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten to the responsive-child folder and added the aforementioned line to bbpress-functions.php.

bbpress ignores .../responsive-child/css/bbpress.css and instead calls the one from the plugins folder.

Clay

@clayheaton

If either your parent/child/current theme have /css/bbpress.css in it, > the theme-compat one shouldn’t be getting pulled in. If it does, and > it is, it’s a bug.

I’m not familiar enough with bbpress (just tried it for the first time today) to declare it’s a bug and not my fault. This is happening with a near-vanilla up-to-date WP install, however.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Are we able to see it online or is it a local copy?

Clay

@clayheaton

It’s online. You can look at this address:
    http://www.gameaid.org

If you use the web inspector on the darkened cells behind the forum table (General Discussion) you’ll see the properties are pulled from the plugin folder.

Clay

@clayheaton

By the way, Linq, the same problem is true on your own website (and on this site) if you inspect the darkened table rows in replys, etc.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

I copied across bbp-theme-compat to my wordpress theme folder and then bbpress automatically picked up my files.

Is your bbpress-functions.php file located inside your theme directory aswell?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

I just checked on my site and in Firebugs net panel it does not show that it is loading bbpress from the plugin folder?

It shows that it is being loaded from my theme directory.

These steps may be incorrect but this is what I did.

1) I copied across bbp-theme-compat to my wordpress theme folder.
    2) I deleted the bbp-theme-compat from the bbpress plugin (this was probably not the thing to do!).

Everything is working fine for me though?

Clay

@clayheaton

Check this screenshot. In FF, just right-click on the table cell and “Inspect Element:”
    http://www.gameaid.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/screen.png

Maybe I’m off my rocker here, but that appears to come from the plugins default folder and not from your RainCloud theme.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Never ever modify or delete the files in the /plugins/bbpress folder, unless you’re fixing a bug and putting a patch up on trac. 🙂

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

that appears to come from the plugins default folder and not from your RainCloud theme.

I don’t see where it says it’s being loaded from at all. It could be bbpress.css located in your current theme.

Clay

@clayheaton

In the screenshot you can’t see it (the path appears as a tooltip that disappears when I take a screenshot). If you do it in Firefox and hover over where it says bbpress.css, you’ll see the path to the plugins folder.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Oh, your looking at a different site lol, I haven’t updated that for a while.

I was looking at the new one I am currently working on: http://teamoverpowered.com/

Yea that one comes from the bbpress plugins folder.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Just to make sure (and after taking a backup) I deleted my bbpress plugin folder.

re-downloaded it and re uploaded it.

So using my current theme and installing a fresh copy of bbpress my bbpress.css file loads from within my theme folder.

Your theme doesn’t happen to hard code a css path or anything does it? It could be a plugin loading in the css file or something, but not too sure apart from that, sorry!

P.s. I also used the bbpress-functions.php file from bbp-theme-compat

Clay

@clayheaton

Try inspecting the darker reply cells in this thread. The background color comes from the plugins folder style sheet.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Because that’s the way I have this theme created. 🙂

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Hmm,

It looks as though most of the styles are coming from
    /blog-wp-content/themes/bbpress-2012/style.css

It is also loading
    /blog-wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-theme-compat/css/bbpress.css?ver=2.1

But, and this is the difference I think with bbpress.org and your site:
    https://bbpress.org/blog-wp-content/themes/bbpress-2012/bbpress.css – doesn’t exist, so I am guessing it is getting all of the styles from style.css but because bbpress.css doesn’t exist it defaults back to the plugins bbpress.css

Clay

@clayheaton

Ok. I’m going to nuke the site and try a fresh install. Can somebody give me accurate concise directions for what to do after I have installed and activated my child theme (without bbpress), to get the bbpress theme to an editable state outside of the plugins folder? Altering my CSS files in the child theme directory always leads to them being superseded at the moment, and I followed the directions I found here.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

This is how I did it:

1) get your fresh install sorted with a new copy of bbpress.
    2) take the contents inside of /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-theme-compat and copy it to the root of your theme, for example: /wp-content/themes/RainCloud/

This is what worked for me and then I could edit the bbpress.css file inside my RainCloud theme and it worked perfectly straight away.

If this doesn’t work I would guess some kind of plugin or theme conflict!

Clay

@clayheaton

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot this evening. 🙂

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Good luck!

Clay

@clayheaton

Ok – it seems to be working as expected now, with a clean refresh. The only difference is that I followed your instructions, Lynq, and not those peppered around this site. The following links say to copy the contents of the bbp-twentyten folder to the theme folder:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-2-0-theme-compatibility/

https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-creating-a-custom-bbpress-theme/

That doesn’t work for me, however. Copying the contents of the bbp-theme-compat folder did work.

Is this simply a documentation problem that needs to be fixed?

Thank you both for the help and attention!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar