Categories
Search
Bottom

bbbPress performance

• Onebird
    Participant

@onebird

Hello,

I’m thinking to use bbPress for one of my websites that currently have around 500000 topics and 30000 registered users. Does anyone installed it on a large website? Did you had performance issues?

I’m wondering if bbPress does scale.

Thanks,
    onebird

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Well for staters it’s used here.

It can scale assuming you have the knowledge (or hire someone) to scale your stack/server as needed.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It will be fine, but you’ll likely want to avoid having private or hidden forums. bbPress performs a postmeta query to exclude topics and replies from private and hidden forums, which will be a pretty bad bottleneck.

Hopefully in bbPress 2.4 or 2.5, I’d like to move the last-active-time meta queries to use post_modified in the posts table. That will remove some of our dependency on JOINing tables, and speed things up for you pretty significantly (at the cost of bastardizing the core post schema and its intentions a bit.)

If you have other specific questions as you go, happy to help and be a resource.

bbn
    Participant

@bbn

Hi,

I recently helped a client convert a large forum from bbpress1 to bbpress2 — about 250,000 topics and replies. The performance difference is really disappointing. It affects the whole site.

Definitely moving the dependence on the _bbp_last_active_time meta would make a huge difference. That join shows up everywhere in our slow query logs.

bbn
    Participant

@bbn

I guess making that change would require

1. adjusting the queries
    2. adjusting the post_modified time for the topic whenever a reply is made

possible to do this via plugin?

REMAS100
    Participant

@remas100

will be fine, but you’ll likely want to avoid having private or hidden forums. bbPress performs a postmeta query to exclude topics and replies from private and hidden forums, which will be a pretty bad bottleneck.

Hopefully in bbPress 2.4 or 2.5, I’d like to move the last-active-time meta queries to use post_modified in the posts table. That will remove some of our dependency on JOINing tables, and speed things up for you pretty significantly (at the cost of bastardizing the core post schema and its intentions a bit.)

If you have other specific questions as you go, happy to help and be a resource.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

It’s difficult to judge from an outside of view but I visit one of the larger bbPress driven websites on a daily base and have my doubts on some parts.

http://www.onemorething.nl/over ( almost 3 million posts )

Those guys have upgraded bbPress V1 -> bbPress V2 about 4/5 months ago and still are fighting troubles + losing people-/visits because of it.
    I can’t tell if it’s ‘sloppy’ bbPress Core or less quality developers who have messed things up.

The website + community runs pretty fast on a good server and most of the trouble their facing are custom build features…

aaclayton
    Participant

@aaclayton

@jjj said : “Hopefully in bbPress 2.4 or 2.5, I’d like to move the last-active-time meta queries to use post_modified in the posts table. That will remove some of our dependency on JOINing tables, and speed things up for you pretty significantly (at the cost of bastardizing the core post schema and its intentions a bit.)”

I would be hugely in favor of this change, as it would have really tangible performance benefits. I understand what you are saying about misinterpreting the schema, but I think you can make a compelling argument that a reply being added to a topic is tantamount to that topic being modified for the purposes of discussion. If that eases your conscience at all…

While you’re at it, it would also be worth considering saving the topic reply count in the ‘comment_count’ field, since they are functionally the same thing.

Jonathan Bardo
    Participant

@jonathanbardo

Hey everyone,

I know this topic is a little bit old but we have recently created a plugin that would help reducing the post meta queries involving _bbp_last_active_time. The plugin is righthere.

We basically move the meta to his own table for reading which reduce considerably the query time. The good thing about this plugin is that it is non intrusive meaning once bbpress core find a solution to resolve this issue, one can only deactivate the plugin and everything will be back to normal.

Any feedback welcomed!

Cheers!

Robin W

@robin-w

Can you just say what happens if you disable the plugin, does it just return to as before?

@jonathanbardo Interesting, will take a look when I get some spare time.

reedy
    Participant

@reedy

Is this plugin still active/supported?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar