Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Bavatars doesn't work!

• It gives me this error when uploading an avatar image:

Warning: imagepng() [function.imagepng]: Unable to open '/home/michael/public_html/forum//avatars/c/c4/c4c/c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.png' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/michael/public_html/forum/bb-plugins/bavatars/bavatars-profile.php on line 42

What do I do?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Does this directory exist and is it writable (0755 permissions on the directory)

/home/michael/public_html/forum//avatars/c/c4/c4c/

Also, the double forward slash there doesn’t need to be there. This is not causing your problem, but it is unnecessary. Something has a leading slash or trailing slash that’s unnecessary.

Again, I have no clue about permissions and codes and stuff. I just upload files to my server. And no, that directory does not exist. Atleast not as I can see.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

When the Bavatars plugin is installed, it makes three levels of directories for storing avatars. Their permissions are 777, so it should work on all servers, even the shared hosting ones. The double slash is my fault – it’s part of the plugin, but as it isn’t hurting anything, I’ll leave it in there.

You’re the one who’s made it? Can you get it to work for me please? What am I suppose to do now?

And again, no clue about permissions here, I upload via Windows Explorer, not gonna download some fancy shit ftp program.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

Go into your Windows Explorer FTP and navigate to your forum folder. Then, click properties and check all of the checkboxes in the middle column.

De- and re-activate Bavatars, then go back into FTP and change the middle column of checkboxes to just the top of that column.

Oh no no no. I tried that once, and my entire forum crashed completely down. I had to reinstall it, and delete the database and create a new one. Never doing that again, EVER.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Hilarious.

I want it fixed, but i’m not going to follow the instructions you tell me.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

In less technical terms, the problem is that the server won’t let Bavatars make its folders because of folder permissions. All I’m telling you to do is make your forum root writable by the server, deactivate and reactivate Bavatars to let it make the folders, and then change the forum root back to the way it was.

If you don’t want to do that, make a folder called avatars at the forum root and set it to chmod 777. De- and re-activate Bavatars, and your problem will be fixed.

Oh I would definitly follow his instructions, if I hadn’t tried this procedure already. Do you want me to crash my entire database just I can be a good forum member on here? I don’t think so.

If this is the only way to solve the problem, then I suppose I’m gonna have to settle for the fact that it won’t work.

Nightgunner5, I just created a folder called “avatars” in the forum-root. And it did not work.

I will not touch the properties around writability and stuff. Simply because the last time I did this to any file, the whole thing went down the drain. Like a black hole, sucking everything around it in and crushing it.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

Creating the folders yourself will have the same problem as not changing the permissions. FTP and the HTTPd are probably running on different user accounts, so Bavatars will have no ability to save the avatars.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Marius-, I think you should find someone locally who is competent enough to help you with this. Changing the folder permissions is not going to crash your server, your database or your forum. You need someone with enough confidence to help you with this locally.

Marius most FTP programs left you right click on the folder and “change permission” if there is check boxes check them all, should be 9 total.

Or just make the Plugin easier to install for people like me? Afterall, why should it be hard.

If you’re not comfortable changing folder permissions, than bbPress isn’t going to be a good solution for you. That said, I don’t know of any solution that supports plugins and is also drag-and-drop easy. It should be easy to do this stuff, but it’s not yet.

Like Chris mentioned, your best bet is probably to find someone nearby who can help you.

BBpress has worked out good so far. So I’m not buying that summary.

Several plugins works just by drag and drop, and thats how I like it, thats how it should be. Anything else can stay away from me.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar