Categories
Search
Bottom

Assistance with CSS not working please!

• Chrisp2408
    Participant

@chrisp2408

Hi all,
    Running WordPress version 3.5.1 and bbPress version 2.2.4 My them is Everest by Elegant Themes.
    All works well with the whole site, and wanted to add Forum functionality with bbPress. The CSS doesn’t appear to be showing at all for the forum. It really is horribly dull and small fonts.

Although this is on a staging / testing server, you will see what I mean:

http://letstrav.cpanel1prelive.ireckonhosting.com/interaction/forum/

Can someone help please? I have copied the original bbPress css file into the /themes/everest/css/ folder but still get the same issue.

Thnks in advance.
    Chris

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Since this is a development site and not live, you may try upgrading to bbPress 2.3 RC1 (see https://bbpress.org/blog/2013/03/bbpress-2-3-release-candidate-1/). It contains an update that resets some of the basic CSS elements for the forums in order to try and avoid problems like what you’re having.

This would be a great test to see if that particular update in 2.3 helps!

Chrisp2408
    Participant

@chrisp2408

Thanks Jared,

I will give that a try, the site will be going live next week tho, so lets hope a) it works and b) it’s stable enough πŸ™‚

In the interim I did copy the bbPress CSS content into the main style.CSS style sheet and it helped (marginally)….

Will let you know how I go.

Thanks
    Chris

Chrisp2408
    Participant

@chrisp2408

Hi Jared, no difference at all… bizarre behaviour.

Ah, it appears at one point you copied the bbPress CSS file into you theme (which is correct).

Once you do that, bbPress will always use that file instead of its own. So instead of using the new 2.3 CSS file with the fixes it’s still loading the one and your theme.

Easiest thing to do is rename the bbpress.css in your theme to something else like bbpress-temp.css which will make bbPress use it’s own packaged CSS.

Chrisp2408
    Participant

@chrisp2408

Hi Jared,

No… I had removed it from the theme altogether (rather than renaming it) and also removed any reference to bbPress in the Style.css file too. Lastly I had to delete the old bbPress folder in the plugins directory in order to install this RC1 version as it wouldn’t install without deleting the old folder first.

So, now I am at a point where I have a fresh install of RC1 that you pointed me too, nothing in the Everest theme’s CSS folder reating to bbPress and nothing in the theme’s style.css file either… just the raw install of RC1 in it’s rightful place and nada…..? still looking the same as before.

The only time I had some marginal success previusly was when I wrote some css and put it into the style.css file of the theme, that at least changed the font to Arial and the size.

It’s driving me nuts as time is running out πŸ™‚ so any further suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Alright, the resets we have in place in the CSS were for the list-style, not the background images or padding which seems to be what you need.

Putting this in your theme’s CSS will be a start, but you’ll likely need more CSS tweaks as you go to play nice with your theme.

`#bbpress-forums li {
    margin: 0;
    list-style: none;
    background: none;
    padding: 0;
    }`

I’m going to create a ticket in trac to add these to the reset to help in the future.

Here’s the trac ticket https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2283

Any fixes won’t be until bbPress 2.4 so you’ll want to do some tweaks manually (like I mentioned above) in the mean time.

Chrisp2408
    Participant

@chrisp2408

Thanks Jared,

That little snippet of CSS helped aign the forum nicely to the page, I just need to write some more now to get it looking nicer… πŸ™‚

Awesome work

Chris

No problem, thanks for reporting it. Things like this help us improve bbPress for everyone πŸ™‚

afjsystem
    Participant

@afjsystem

hi @Chrisp2408 , i have same problem but now i saw your forum already fixed.
    i putted @jaredatch suggestion into my theme’s style.css, but the list style won’t disappear.

will you help me by share what you do so the forum look nice ?

thanks

Chrisp2408
    Participant

@chrisp2408

@afjsystem – What is the url of your forum so I can take a look.

Chris

afjsystem
    Participant

@afjsystem

hi @chrisp2408 , here my forum http://tanyajawabforex.com/forums/

and fixed anyway.. thanks to this threads.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar