Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Ask for a plugin

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I there, Zaerl here. I’ve made a couple of plugins on the bbPress 1.1 standalone era and now it’s time for me to join the 2.1.2 bandwagon. I’ve seen that a lot of 1.1 plugins haven’t been implemented/ported to the new infrastructure and it’s a pity.

Are there some plugins that are needed? I have a couple of weeks to spare and I will be happy to help the community (for free obviously.)

Have a nice day.

P.S. I have also a 100% complete italian translation if you need it. I have translated it from scratch cause the GlotPress one is poor.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

• smiga
    Participant

@smiga

There is one “must have” plugin missing on 2.x, what worked well on 1.x -> unread post plugin. Its already discussed under this topic https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/adding-view-unread-posts-plugin/

In 3 words describing – when users logs in it sees unread topics in different color (new topics and topics with new replies counting from last user visit). When he enters topic its automaticaly redirected to last unread post inside topic.
    Old 1.x source code you can see here -> http://paste.php.lv/720a5c85e7a31f117a104d2a14ce368f?lang=php its just one file.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I will work on that then. I remember Unread Posts, it’s one from ck.

There is one that was released a few weeks ago: http://pippinsplugins.com/mark-as-read-for-wordpress/

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I will provide a free alternative.

+1. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with 🙂

Tanya
    Participant

@pjtna

Pippin’s plugin is actually at http://pippinsplugins.com/bbpress-mark-as-read/ and it is free.

It is still missing the functionality of new topic replies (from last visit) and automatically taking you to the last unread reply inside the topic.

Thanks for working on this zaerl!

@Tanya – you’re definitely right, thanks for posting the correct link 🙂

@Zaerl I would also suggest having a look at @mordauk (Pippin’s) code at GitHub and contributing and or extending the functionality of this existing plugin. The code is on GitHub here https://github.com/pippinsplugins/bbp-mark-as-read

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

zaerl any progress on this? I would be happy to test it as soon something gets released. 😉

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Hello Zaerl, have you any news about the progress ?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Hi there. The plugin is in advanced state of development. I’m testing it in very large (+10,000 auto-generated topics) env in order to ensure that it will scale well. It will be released in a few day as an alpha release on Github. I can publish it now if you want but I prefer to make some more tests.

I’m not using ck approach cause it generate problems with very large forum. Main functionalities are:

1. Users can mark an entire forum as read (use an AJAX call)
    2. Users can mark a single topic as read (use an AJAX call)
    3. Every visited topic is marked “read” when accessed via browser
    4. Custom HTML class for unread topics
    5. Custom prefix for unread forums title (“[unread] ” or similar)
    6. Custom prefix for unread topics title
    7. Template functions for checking the state of current forum/topic

These are the functionalities of the first soon-to-be alpha. I think that in future release I will add something like: custom loop for unread topic (maybe a separate page), count of unread topics, mark a forum as “always read” and other stuff.

Who is an adventurous can write me at za@zaerl.com, I will send you back the prototype.

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Hi zaerl,

In a visited topic, new replies are added, is this topic checked as unread from the last visit?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

1. Visitor check topic A, which belongs to forum F, at 10:00
    2. New reply in post A at time 10:05
    3. Visitor check forum at 10:06, the post A and forum F are unread
    4. Visitor check post A, the post is now read

Tanya
    Participant

@pjtna

Sounds really great zaerl! I’m looking forward to the first release.

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

@zaerl It sounds great!

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

For you what is the best place to put the link that mark an entire forum as read? Right now I’ve placed it next to “Viewing topic X (of Y total)” (filter bbp_get_topic_pagination_count) but I don’t know if it’s the best option.

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

I think a good place is in the same row, before the number of pages!

Awesome. I’m thrilled to see someone building one that can scale for huge sites. Mine works really well for small sites, but definitely was not meant to scale.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Visitor check topic A, which belongs to forum F, at 10:00
    New reply in post A at time 10:05
    Visitor check forum at 10:06, the post A and forum F are unread
    Visitor check post A, the post is now read

@Zaerl
    how about functionality, when user enters topic @10:06 and it is automaticaly forwarded/droped to post made @10:05 (where user stoped reading last time he visited that topic)?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Hi smiga. This is possible cause I save a mix of last IDs and last timestamp but I don’t think that I will insert this in the first release cause I’m having problems with deleted/merged/splitted topics/replies. I’m trying to avoid making additional calls to the database.

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Hi zaerl, have you any news about the plugin?
    I would happy to test your first release!

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

“I would happy to test your first release!”

That’s great. Write me at za AT zaerl.com. I will send you the prototype. I need to solve a problem regarding merged/splitted topics but the plugin is ready.

Tanya
    Participant

@pjtna

HI zaerl, I’ve just emailed you too in case it goes to your spam (Tanya Ahrens). Thanks!

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Hi zaerl, I have send you an email (studiomatrixdesign AT gmail.com) for a plugin testing!
    Thanks

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Zaerl, when do you plan to release this plugin?
    I wanted to test it, drop you mail 2 weeks ago, but so far no response. Maybe you can drop me files to edgars.melnis@gmail.com ?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar