Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Announcement Board

• Is it possible to designate one board as an announcement board where only admins can create new topics but anyone can view and reply to them?

I tried installing the Restrict Forums plugin but that was buggy and doesn’t seem to be supported any more. The Private Forums works great, but only hides a forum from view.

Are there any other plugins that I am missing that might be able to provide this functionality?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I posted too soon, my apologies. This looks to be exactly what I am looking for. I just hope I can figure out what “put in a plugin” means…

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

“Put in a plugin” means:

1. create a new file with a text editor.

2. give it a name like “bb-restrict-new-topic.php”

3. create a header in the file that tells bbPress this file is a plugin, like this:

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: Restrict New Topic
    Description: Restrict new topic creation by members
    Version: 0.1
    */

4. put the text from that other page into the rest of the file.

5. be sure to close the file with a ?>

6. put that new file in your bb-plugins folder.

7. activate the plugin in your admin panel

8. test test test

I think the plugin file will look like this when you’re done.

http://pastebin.com/f488c97d5

nosaukums

@nosaukums

This is really helpful, sorry for bringing back the old post, but i needed help, because it disables the feature, but the title “New Topic in this Forum” is still visible.

Can it be removed with help of plugin?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

In your template files, wherever there is a call to post_form(); just change it to

post_form('Custom Title Here'); – you can even put a space in the single quotes and not have any title at all. The “New Topic in this Forum” is part of bbPress, but you can override it in your template wherever post_form is called.

Tomcraft1980

@tomcraft1980

I used this plugin for that: https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/read-only-forums/

Works great!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar