Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Allowing inline images uploads in posts?

• ben_allison

@ben_allison

The bb-attachments plugin doesn’t work any more with current version of bbPress.

Is there are reasonable solution to allow users to insert images (upload, not just add tag) into their posts?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anointed

@anointed

If you are using WordPress 3.3 and the latest bbPress (I use the nightly download), then you can turn on the tinymce editor instead of the standard textfield input for creating topics and replies.

You would then need to grant permission to the different roles that you want to allow to insert images, either via links or the upload system.

There are user role plugins that can help with this which are actually built for WordPress, but work for bbPress just fine.

Keep in mind that it’s not usually good practice to allow regular users to upload whatever they want into your media system.

ben_allison

@ben_allison

Thanks!

It’s a closed forum so I’m ok with people uploading what they want.

I just can’t seem to find the option to turn on tinymce for replies! It’s some php magic or is there an actual option in the admin somewhere?

Anointed

@anointed

Sure, in settings -> forums check the last option.

http://screensnapr.com/v/FinWe0.png

Does require WordPress 3.3 and latest bbPress for this option to show up.

ben_allison

@ben_allison

Weird! I don’t have that option.

I’m on bbPress 2.0.2 Do you mean the 2.1 beta?

Anointed

@anointed

Yeah I would try the 2.1 beta and also you HAVE to be running WordPress 3.3 as that is where the new editor function was introduced.

Jeaz
    Participant

@jeaz

Hey,

I’m confused here, how do I enable the users to insert images?

I’m using 2.1 and but even me as an administrator don’t see add any image upload or insert options when posting.

EDIT: To clarify, I can see the options when posting from the admin section, but not from the forums.

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

With todays versions (WP 3.4.1 and BBpress 2.1.2), is this really possible? I have been waiting for a “attachments upload function” ever since BBpress 2.0. I am still using the old BBpress and CK‘s attachments plugin.

If this is possible, it’s time to upgrade :)

PS: I heard that BBpress 2.2 will have this feature built-in. Would it be wice to wait for that instead?

RaphaelJeger
    Participant

@raphaeljeger

I use the absolute newest version of WP and BP (3.4.2 and 2.2.2) and can’t upload images directly in the editor and didn’t find a plugin for doing it (uploading, display them inline etc.)

Is there really no solution? If that’s the case I’ll have to switch to another forum because it’s absolutely unusable for my case :(

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

There is a plugin that enables attachments - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gd-bbpress-attachments/, however past that currently there is no other method. It’s certainly on the list for core, we just haven’t gotten to it yet.

RaphaelJeger
    Participant

@raphaeljeger

Thank you Jared…
    A real bummer to me. I highly appreciate all your work and like the system apart fron that, but no inline images = real big bummer :( I can’t even imagine having a forum w/o it…

RaphaelJeger
    Participant

@raphaeljeger

Jared, I’m almost finished with inline image posting using a tinyMCE plugin. Wanna know how I did it?

sunriseweb
    Participant

@sunriseweb

@RaphaelJeger I want to know!! :-)

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gd-bbpress-attachments/ works but doesn’t help with inline attachments, and the regular WordPress tinyMCE settings are not applied to the bbPress editor.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

The thing that makes inline images tough is non-admin users cannot use the tag and shortcodes are not an option.

Currently there is an issue on trac (#1916) that would make it where img tags do not get filtered out. Once that’s done it would open the gate for plugins to handle inline images pretty easily.

brodskis
    Participant

@brodskis

is there any resolution to this? I’ve been searching for the last few days either for a way to make members profiles and forums more visaul, enabling portfolios etc or for a reay built theme which will enable this.

Any advice much appresciated

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.