Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Akismet spam false positives

• A lot of my users’ posts are being marked as spam and being moved to the Akismet queue, when they’re obviously not – is there a way of toning down the checks that the plugin does, so it’s not so critical of valid postings?

Thanks,

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Not as far as I know. Akismet is sort of a “black box” so they do not release what triggers being marked as a spammer. If they did, the spammers could work around that.

Some people turn Akismet off and deal with the spam rather than deal with the false positives.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I turn off Akismet and just use Human Test to prevent bots from registering: https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/human-test/

You just never know when a user will improperly get “bozo-ed” and you might miss their messages entirely. In fact i turn off the bozo feature too, it’s never quite worked right.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Ditto on the bozo feature. Never did understand that or get any benefit from it. At least it’s a plugin now where you can disable it. And the Human Test plugin works remarkably well in the arms race against preventing spammers from registering.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I have a few other tricks in mind for “Human Test” if they ever figure out how to easy break it. I’m not going to modify it though until they do break it just so they can’t adapt quickly.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar