Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Akismet key id

• Good day,

Is my bbpress username and password the ticket to get the Akismet id? If so, is worpress.com the site I go to? Tried it and could find nothing. Find it frustrating to have to ask for answers that should not be made so hard to find. I’m sure more difficult situations lie ahead! Thanks…RJ

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • login to wordpress.com, go to your dashboard, click on profile (or My Account) and you should see “Your wordpress.com API Key is: ” followed by the key

got it from: http://faq.wordpress.com/2005/10/19/api-key/

In reply, thanks for the direction. However, bbpress username/password are not accepted and I was directed to open an account with new information before a key was issued. I know this now!

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Did you not see this?

From config.php:

// Your Akismet Key.  You do not need a key to run bbPress, but if you want to take advantage
    // of Akismet's powerful spam blocking, you'll need one. You can get an Akismet key at
    // http://wordpress.com/api-keys/
    $bb->akismet_key = ''; // Example: '0123456789ab'

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

RonJRoy, bbPress and WordPress are not really related, and a wordpress.com login is necessary just for the Akismet key. The login for bbPress does not work at wordpress.com.

One thing I always thought was weird though is that the wordpress.com login works for trac.bbpress.org.

Glad you got it sorted. Since this is beta software, there are going to be some questions, and there are always people around to help.

re: Akismet Keys.

So i have several sites I’m working with that use blog plugins and i was wondering if anyone knows more about the key.

I’ve been using the same API key for all my sites, but is there any advantage or disadvantage to using the same key for mulitple sites… different keys for different clients sites?

Does it matter if i just use the same key for everything?

thanks, – Aaron – I’m sure other’s would like to know too!

Source: Aaron Kronis – SEO Rockstar http://www.digitalvegetarian.com

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

WordPress.com says this about the keys:

“Please use your own API Key and don’t ever share your API it is like a password for you =)

I don’t know about advantages or disadvantages for using the same key. I used to use the same key for all sites, but now I get a new key for each site (which is a big pain). I haven’t noticed a performance difference one way or the other.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

There is no performance difference as far as I know if you use the same key for all your sites. You start hitting restrictions when your total volume gets too high, in which case you might opt for the commercial Akismet license instead.

infokronisus

@infokronisus

Thanks for the reply, which makes sense. Definitely need to watch out for any Akismet ‘no longer works due to volume’ issues that could arise if we use the same key everywhere.

– AK

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar