Categories
Search
Bottom

Akismet is reporting that it found spam, but I can't see it

• hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Hello,

Yesterday in the Akismet stats I noticed that Akismet had marked a couple of posts as spam so I searched for posts marked as spam, found them, saw they they were false positives, and un-spammed them. Today I see in the Akismet stats that Akismet has marked 8 more posts as spam. But, when I search for posts with the status spam or deleted, nothing shows up. What do I need to do in order to see everything that Akismet marked as spam? Thanks.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

OK, now it’s ticked up to 12 detected spam posts caught today, none of which I can see anywhere. This is not so good, considering that the other ones were false positives and there have been a bunch of legitimate new sign-ups today.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

OK, now it’s ticked up to 12 detected spam posts caught today, none of which I can see anywhere. This is not so good, considering that the other ones were false positives and there have been a bunch of legitimate new sign-ups today.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Thats why Akismet sucks for BBpress. And thank you for documenting this once again. Some people in here need to hear this.

Stop using it. Simple as that. It´s not made for a forum. It´s made for blogs.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Thats why Akismet sucks for BBpress. And thank you for documenting this once again. Some people in here need to hear this.

Stop using it. Simple as that. It´s not made for a forum. It´s made for blogs.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

I have been forced to stop using it because the likelihood of false positive is quite high, since most forum members are verified. That is really a bummer that there is an existing bug with posts being marked as spam that are unable to be seen and now I’m wondering how many times it has happened that I haven’t noticed since I opened my forum.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

I have been forced to stop using it because the likelihood of false positive is quite high, since most forum members are verified. That is really a bummer that there is an existing bug with posts being marked as spam that are unable to be seen and now I’m wondering how many times it has happened that I haven’t noticed since I opened my forum.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

In the admin panel, go to the posts tab and change the filter to show posts with the status “spam”. Akismet puts all the spam posts there, and as far as I know, it never removes them without your consent.

Akismet works fine for forums. I haven’t noticed any false positives for over a year.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

In the admin panel, go to the posts tab and change the filter to show posts with the status “spam”. Akismet puts all the spam posts there, and as far as I know, it never removes them without your consent.

Akismet works fine for forums. I haven’t noticed any false positives for over a year.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply – if you give my question a quick re-read it starts from my already having gone to the posts tab and changed the filter to show posts with the status spam. Since I couldn’t see any of the 12 new spammed posts reported by Akismet there, it was at that point that I decided to ask here where they are sent to.

As I mentioned, I did have false positives, so the mystery 12 posts are pretty disconcerting since it is a low-volume support forum (i.e., any questions that get false positives or a mysterious disappearance tend to make me look like I’m ignoring or refusing people with support issues unless I notice them and restore them quickly, which isn’t possible in this case).

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply – if you give my question a quick re-read it starts from my already having gone to the posts tab and changed the filter to show posts with the status spam. Since I couldn’t see any of the 12 new spammed posts reported by Akismet there, it was at that point that I decided to ask here where they are sent to.

As I mentioned, I did have false positives, so the mystery 12 posts are pretty disconcerting since it is a low-volume support forum (i.e., any questions that get false positives or a mysterious disappearance tend to make me look like I’m ignoring or refusing people with support issues unless I notice them and restore them quickly, which isn’t possible in this case).

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

If you run a blog with the same Akismet key, the spam comments would be counted along with any spam posts on your forum.

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

If you run a blog with the same Akismet key, the spam comments would be counted along with any spam posts on your forum.

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Is it possible to use it with a different key on the same domain?

hlwinkler
    Participant

@hlwinkler

Is it possible to use it with a different key on the same domain?

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

Yes. All you would need to do is sign up for another Akismet account (which is free).

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

Yes. All you would need to do is sign up for another Akismet account (which is free).

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar