Categories
Search
Bottom

admin bar

• danieldude
    Participant

@danieldude

hi
    i just added bbpress to my wordpress site and i am interested in making the sign-in button on the top right pop up a sign-in form rather than redirecting the user to a sign-in page

as well would like to add a register button and maybe some more links

could anyone please help me with this

i saw exactly what i want it to act like on this site:
    24baby shop (click on sign-in button on top right to see what im talking about. its actually “inloggen” now sure what language it is)

my website is this one – tikanti

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Yes that is really quite good looking, I’d like to copy that also !

The inloggen is in the menu, so it is a call from menu item.

The site is using wordpress twentytwelve, but I don’t know whether it’s a plugin or they have coded it for themselves.

I have contacted the site to see if they’d tell us how they did it. If I get a reply I’ll let you know !

Maybe another support person on here knows how to code this – it’s actually a wordpress rather than bbPress solution.

danieldude
    Participant

@danieldude

Hi robin

I already tried contacting him
    He was not willing to help he forwarded me to this forum

Hope someone els can help out with this

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, I’ve worked out an easy(-ish) way to do this.

a) Install the plugin WP Modal Login.
    Dashboard>plugins>add new>search “wp modal login” install and activate
    b) Settings
    Dashboard>settings>wp modal login
    you can play with the settings, but primarily you need to select a theme (later on you can play with the css to get it looking nice!)
    c) Then follow the post a couple up from the last in this link which has all the steps to add it to the menu
    NOTES:
    On step 4 – Whilst you can check all the options as he suggests, what you actually need to ensure are checked are “links” on the first line and Description under the “show advanced menu options”
    On step 5 – what you are creating is a new link, sop click “links” on the left hand side, and a dropdown with the url and link text will appear. Populate these two as he suggests and then add to the menu. Then look at the bottom right, and you’ll see this added as a custom item. Open this, and you’ll see the Description box, which is where you drop the shortcode.

As I said, you can play with the css to get this looking how you want.

Give it a go ! (I’m about to!)

danieldude
    Participant

@danieldude

Hi man!

First of all thank you for this!!! I really appreciate the help!!!

In step c)
    I didn’t find the post you are talking about can you please replay with a link to it?
    I’ll give it a shot once I get home…

Again thanks for sharing.

Daniel

Robin W

@robin-w

oops, sorry thought I’d posted the link

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/using-in-navigation-menu

danieldude
    Participant

@danieldude

thanks again robin.
    i think im missing a plugin
    the one that lets me choose this manu to be as a admin-bar menu…
    in the code i pasted to the function.php, there is a note on the top saying it uses a plugin named “WordPress menu admin” i didnt seem to find it do you know what plugin he is using i dont want to download somthin wrong and mess this up.

danieldude
    Participant

@danieldude

i tried adding it to my nav menu but it shows in the nav menu…
    i am thinking i need to add a plugin that will let me choose a diferent menu for the menu bar and not the navigation one…

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, I had misunderstood.

The site you link to has these in their nav menu, they’ve just moved the nav menu to the top of the screen.

Most WP sites only give admin toolbar visibility to authors and above, as the backend is clearly different from their theme.

They then use sidebars to handle register, profile and login or use nav menus for these.

If you wanted to use the standard admin toolbar, then you’d not get a login, as the toolbar doesn’t show unless you are logged in, so it becomes self defeating !

If you want a login at the top right of your screen, you can use the php code in your theme’s header.php (or indeed anywhere you want to show it). You could add a background to make it look like a button

ie

<?php add_modal_login_button( $login_text = 'Login', $logout_text = 'Logout', $logout_url = '', $show_admin = false ) ; ?>

“in the code i pasted to the function.php, there is a note on the top saying it uses a plugin named “WordPress menu admin” i didnt seem to find it do you know what plugin he is using i dont want to download somthin wrong and mess this up.” – I didn’t see this, can you point me to which bit of code you are talking about.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar