Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Adding "view unread posts" plugin

• Tanya
    Participant

@pjtna

For those of you familiar with phpbb forums, a very liked feature is the ability to show your unread posts, and also to skip to the last unread reply in that thread.

I have spoken to Pippin, from http://pippinsplugins.com, who estimates that to create a plugin to include these features on bbpress will cost between $350 and $600.

Now my website, which will have a forum migrated to it soon, will require these features, however it is only a hobby website πŸ™

So I’m asking bbpress forum owners out there, do you want this plugin? And if yes, would you be willing to contribute to the cost?

Tanya πŸ™‚

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Forum topics will not (yet) look any different when they are marked as read / unread, except for the link that lets you mark them as read/ unread.

Do the topics remember the read status when you click the links?

I just updated the github version with some ajax that will automatically mark topics as read after you have viewed them for at least 10 seconds.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Yes, topics remember Mark as Read/Unread link usage. Will download latest version…

Another update: so that read/unread topics can be styled, I’ve added two class names to the topic wrapper:

.bbp-topic-read if a topic has been read by the current user.
    .bbp-topic-unread if a topic has not been read by the current user.

enter image description here

What theme are you using? It’s very possible that your theme is missing a couple of vital components, which would make it so the Unread Topics section doesn’t show. Also, what version of bbPress?

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

This one works as expected -> “version with some ajax that will automatically mark topics as read after you have viewed them for at least 10 seconds”

I`m using “Response” theme. bbpress 2.1.2
    With latest commit, started to apear something under users profile “Unread Forum Topics Viewing 30 topics – 1 through 30 (of 436 total)” Its already late, will try to play a bit tomorrow if have time.

By the way, maybe you can suggest theme what to use to have proper components?

• This reply was modified 11 years, 7 months ago by smiga.

Cool, thanks for testing it πŸ™‚

Lesley Austin
    Participant

@lesley-austin

Hello Pippin,
    I haven’t had time to test this yet, but am following along on the comments and it brought something to mind. I ended up not being able to use another one of your plugins (the Mark as Read for posts) because longtime members would have had something like two hundred “unread” posts since the implementation of the plugin in was new.

Will this have the same drawback, or will there be a “mark All as read” option so everyone who has been keeping up can start fresh?

I haven’t added the Mark All as Read option yet, but I will.

Lesley Austin
    Participant

@lesley-austin

Lovely! Thanks so much for all of this.

I’ve added the option to mark all topics as read.

There is definitely a bug at the moment that causes the profile page to not accurately show all unread topics on existing bbPress installs. Going to try and work that one out.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Downloaded the latest version of code.

-“Mark all as read” works fine, tried for 439 topics at once, worked fast.
    -“Unread forum topics” under profile seams to be working (initially I had case when new topics did not appeared as unread, but I was not able to repeat and catch exact case how I got it)

One remark – when user registers new topic or reply and do not wait 10 seconds his own topic appear as unread. Would be good to mark those immediately as read.

Tanya
    Participant

@pjtna

Thanks Pippin, can’t wait to test it!

Is there also the possibility of having a link next to to the topic title, like an arrow, so when you click on the arrow it will send you to the last reply that you haven’t read in that topic?

Tanya
    Participant

@pjtna

Also, for the widget, can this be a link so that you can place the “view unread topics” link wherever you would like on your site?

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Travel to last unread reply is “must have” feature. I dont think some special arrow is needed, the old 1.x bbpress plugin worked so, that in latest topics page you see unread topics in different collor and when you entered that topic, it automaticaly bring you to last unread post in that topic. It was simple and perfect.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I am going to add a few more parts to the plugin so that when you create new topics (or reply to topics) they are automatically marked as read.

In regards to going to the last reply, this actually won’t be possible (not in the scope of this plugin), simply because this is tracking whether the topic has been viewed, not whether there is a new reply. For tracking new replies, simply use the existing Subscribe feature.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

“In regards to going to the last reply, this actually won’t be possible (not in the scope of this plugin), simply because this is tracking whether the topic has been viewed, not whether there is a new reply. For tracking new replies, simply use the existing Subscribe feature.”

To be honest, then its useless, at least in my case. I`m leading the home brew forum (http://forums.kupla.lv), where every user (at least those 50 active ones) is interested in every unread post, so it would be stupid to subscribe again and again to every single topic whats added new to forum. Although, in some hot topics, sometimes there are about 1500 posts, so imagine when you enter topic after couple of days being offline how you will remember which of 60 pages was the last what you have read. :-/

I can only kindly ask, to consider adding this as well. Without that I will keep sitting on bbpress 1.0.2, because that simple “Unread Posts” plugin written by ck has become a major, unreplaceable feature of forum.

I can definitely see how that can play a major role, but it’s definitely not going to make it in for now, at least not right away.

Keeping track of replies like that is a whole new ball game.

I’ve been talkin with JJJ (lead bbPress developer) about how we might work to integrate these features into the plugin core. Tracking replies will probably definitely be something we’ll look into then.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Ok, I keep fingers crossed that some day replay tracking will be implemented in bbpress core or as separate plugin, until that I keep sitting on standalone 1.x forum version. πŸ™‚

jeeni
    Participant

@jeeni

I’d love this feature too. Our forum is coming from phpBB and the unread posts is dearly missed. Where can I donate to support this plugin/update? Where is the download of the plugin in progress? I’d be happy to donate and test if it’s of any help.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

jeeni, latest plugin code can be found on https://github.com/pippinsplugins/bbp-mark-as-read

jeeni
    Participant

@jeeni

Oh, thanks! I actually had happened upon that repository page but disregarded trying it out because I thought it was a clone/another instance of this plugin: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-mark-as-read/

It would be crazy to have to mark all the threads as read. I like that you have built in automatic recognition of someone reading a thread by visiting it more than a few moments. I’ll load it and give it a whirl.

Where to donate if this is just what I need?

The plugin is on the repo now: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-mark-as-read/

If you visit your forums profile, you will see a section showing unread forum posts, and below the box is a link to “Mark all topics as read”.

I have a donate link on my site: http://pippinsplugins.com/support-the-site

jeeni
    Participant

@jeeni

Oh thanks for both links, Pippin! Hah, I saw your plugin on the WP repository but 1. Saw the author name was not Pippin and 2. Thought it would ONLY be marked as read if you click the link. (Not automatically marked as read. You might want to add some verbiage that says that in the plugin description.)

The only odd behavior I’d mention is that I see my unread posts when viewing another person’s profile page. Seems like it should just be hidden on profiles that aren’t the logged in user’s profile. Hope that makes sense. Other than that it’s great! Thanks for creating it!

Yep, my WordPress.org user name is “mordauk” πŸ™‚

You’re definitely right about adding the verbiage, and that the unread topics should only be visible to yourself. I’m adding it to the todo list.

jeeni
    Participant

@jeeni

Excellent – well thank you very much! Nice to meet your acquaintance today & best wishes to you always.

jezza101
    Participant

@jezza101

Good job Pip. Looking forward to seeing how you did this, I really struggled to get anywhere but I’m kinda an amateur when it comes to hacking plugins together! Popped a few dollars in the kitty and I hope others do the same.

Downloaded to my dev area and will have a play.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar