A very brief standards reivew…
Hello. I’m always interested when a new forum crops up. Just some comments about what I’ve seen just by having a quick look in regards to a standards-based approach to design. Please don’t take this personal at all. These are just my personal observations.
1. I notice that you’re serving the forum as XHTML 1.1 with a content type of text/html, regardless of the user agent. I thought maybe that you were attempting content negotiation, but I see that’s not the case, unfortunately.
2. Inline styling is used for the “tag cloud” could cause more maintenance down the road. Consider using CSS styles.
3. The table you are using for the listing of topics for a forum can be improved in terms of accessibility. (summary, caption, scope, etc)
4. Anyone with a colour deficiency might have an issue differentiation between the topics. The contrast between the white and the light grey is a bit subtle.
5. Title attributes could be used more than it is now. (Especially in the topic table)
6. For the most part, the HTML and CSS validate, with the exceptions of such things like <br clear=”all” />
That’s just a quick glance. Again, take this with a grain of salt. I’m just genuinely interested in any new forums that come out. Over all, not too bad of a job.
crazybat (aka Marco)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.