Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

A phpBB to bbPress database converter

• Hi!

I switched my site’s phpBB forum to bbPress, and I’ve released the script I used for this purpose under the terms of the GPL.

It’s largely based on the excellent starting point from Bruno Torres, to which I added some new features — like bbCode conversion with clean XHTML 1.1 compliant output, smily to text transcription, and the ability to import topics marked as closed, sticky and announcements as such.

I made also some little bugfixing, and the resulting script was able to cleanly import almost everything valuable from my old phpBB database.

You can have a look here if interested: http://www.iteisa.com/phpbb2bbpress/

Hope it helps to spread bbPress and web standards all around! ;-)

Viewing 6 replies - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • paulhawke, I’d like to try out your plugin, if available.

Hi guys.

I was looking at this conversion again and one really useful thing it misses out is converting internal links – eg: if someone has posted a link to a certain topic within the forum, the link will no longer work.

If it could convert from the standard phpbb format eg: forum/viewtopic.php?t=7836

to the default bbpress format eg: forum/topic.php?id=7836

or does the smilies conversion only search for standalone text (ie: it wouldn’t convert phrases within a string)??

would adding something like this to the smilies conversion section work?

‘viewtopic.php?t=’ => ‘topic.php?id=’,

I guess you could also write a new viewtopic.php file that could parse those links, although that’s a bit of a workaround.

yoyopop, that is what paulhawke is doing with his plugin/script where he says:

<blockquote”mapping is maintained between old and new user/post/topic/forum ID values”

With that, you could create some simple redirects from old URLs to new URLs and those old links will work.

rspowers

@rspowers

anyone get this to work with phpbb3?

yoyopop

@yoyopop

tflight – I understand paulhawke is working on his own script, but prior to its release, I am looking to convert those links using the current script, which so far ran successfully for me. So, any feedback on that from anyone who understands it better than I do would be great.

rspowers – try this one https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/phpbb3-gt-bbpress-converter-beta-release

rspowers

@rspowers

yoyopop,

thanks a million. i will test it out and see if i can get it to work.

Viewing 6 replies - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar