Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

500 Internal Server Error

• I just installed bbpress. At first, I was able to log in, but if I tried to view my profile or the 1st post, I went to an error page. After trying to turn pretty permalinks off by making changes referred to in the documentation, then I only received a 500 Internal Server Error with an additional “404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request” no matter what page I tried to view.

After this, I deleted all the tables in the MySql database and deleted then reuploaded all the files to start again. But still receive the Internal Server Error when I go to http://oneworldmeditations.org/forums/bb-admin/install.php or http://oneworldmeditations.org/forums/ which was the location of the bbpress blog.

Can someone advise?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Is it possible you have a problem with your .htaccess file? Are you trying to use permalinks? Are you even using an .htaccess file? If so, I would recommend removing it and seeing if that works. Or possibly you uploaded the text files (php) as binary instead of ASCII? That could corrupt them.

Without access to any error logs, these are all just guesses.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

One other thing some servers do is complain if PHP file permissions are set to 777 or something similarly open with access to everyone. I think the PHP files for bbPress just need to be 644, and I think 755 will work as well, but if they are more than that (read/write/execute access to owner, group and everyone) maybe your server is complaining about that?

It looks like removing the .htaccess file may have given us new life, I do not get the error message and am given an opportunity to reinstall, which I will do tonight, and see if all errors are resolved. Thank you for that tip. I will update.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar