Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

1 registration, 3 new users, how is this possible?

• Hieke
    Participant

@hieke

Hello,
    I’m a newbie so on forehand sorry for stupid questions.

I’ve installed WordPress 3.5.1, a fresh bbpress 2.2.4 forum, BuddyPress 1.6.4, Better WP Security 3.4.8 and WP Super Cache 1.2.

Besides that the forum (under the tab Forums) doesn’t show up, the question is:

How is it possible that only one person takes an account on the forum, I’ve received only one e-mail, and there are 3 new users. I suspect they are not the chatting-type, so I will delete these accounts anyway.

Is there a way to prevent this? Is it a bug? What can I do about it?

Thanks for your answers.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Are they all the same username?

Hieke
    Participant

@hieke

No, 3 different names AND 3 different e-mail addresses. Only one registration via e-mail.

Hieke
    Participant

@hieke

BTW, none of them shows up in the member-section on the Front-end of the forum. Is a member supposed to first post a message before showing up in this member-section?

Thanks for any reply, because I don’t understand what is happening, and I suspect a kind of hacker activity?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

The only thing to remember is that you can register for wordpress and register for bbPress (bbPress creates a wordpress user). So potentially they could be registering in a different part of your site, which could potentially mean you don’t get an email.

You can usually tell by their email address and username if it’s some kind of bot or something registering for wordpress sites, I just tend to delete them. If I am really unsure I just send them an email from a random email account asking if they recieved their password correctly, don’t recieve an email for two days then I just delete it.

Hieke
    Participant

@hieke

Thanks for your reply.

I suspect Better WP Security and bbpress and/or BuddyPress are not compatible or I didn’t figure out the right settings yet.

What is happening: one creates an account, and after receiving an activating e-mail, one fills in name and password, and after that the defeault WP login screen appears (huh) an one has to fill name and password again. I think this is where one can make an new user?

WP-login is supposed to be hidden by Better WP Security, instead some sort of redirect appears in the URL. See testforum http://www.nietdragenmaarklagen.nl

The users multiplied by night, there are 5 now. What is remarkable: these users have WP user role: subscriber and Forum role: none.

The next question is: how to secure this forum? With what plugin or settings?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar